• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 exciter---ground stealing voltage

bkwudzhom

Gen 1 exciter---what am I missing?

Before I get started..yes I have searched...yes I have read Warthogs Gen 1 Exciter post and thanks to his post I have upgraded my collection of laminated schematics.

Problem started on routine trip to town. Drove in with no problem. When leaving the store the Gen 1 light came on. I read up on it and started troubleshooting. Checked the exciter wire plug... red gives me 12V & brown 2.xx volts. Traced the brown wire back to the dash plug and have continuity. I have 12v into the Gen 1 light on the circuit board but just a bit over 2v out. I Checked for a ground to the brown wire at the Gen 1 and it seems to be grounded. I disconnected the wiring harness at the firewall. This allowed me to narrow the ground to be between the internal firewall plug and the dash board plug. I ran out of time and haven't had the chance to get back to it. Any suggestions on where the ground may be? I would hate to start unwrapping the wiring harness under the dash when it could be something that I just overlooked in my frustration. Thanks in advance for any direction you may have.
BK

Last edited:

bkwudzhom

To begin charging the Alt must be receiving the proper voltage into the exciter circuit. If you would please reread my initial post I clearly state the trouble shooting procedure I am following. The first step is not to replace the Alt at first sign of trouble.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks