• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gen 1 light and gen 2 sometimes

Ok before you all crucify me for yet another gen 1 or gen 2 light let me explain. I have an 09 and its giving me some trouble with the gen 1 and 2 when driving with the accelerator depressed.

I have replaced alternators a couple days ago with rebuilds from rareelectric or someone off ebay, very nice looking and yes isolated ground. I have replaced batteries with some dekas and have two red tops on stand by also. But my gen 1 light stays dim and while im driving lights up or flikers, sometimes the gen 2 comes on and flashes also. Additionally the volt meter is into the red, like right at the base of the red and creeps up into the high red as i use more gas pedal.

Ive checked the tightness of the belts, I have checked the voltage on the batteries, I have trouble shot using the tm's, etc. My next shot is the two relays for gen 2 and volt meter and the heater fuse as well. I have read posts here for hours and not able to fix this yet, used google as well to no avail.

One other thing of note is that when I have my battery tester checking the batteries the front battery comes back as voltage unstable and wont give me a good analysis of the battery. Thought this might help, but any advice is much appreciated and please excuse me if this is covered elsewhere, but im having a hard time getting to the bottom of this one.

ok so more details. after hooked up the pulsetech analyzer.

-cranking volts 11.23 normal
-alt idle 14.67 high
-ripple detected .12v normal
-alt load volts 14.43v high

Any ideas guys?

Barrman

Swap in the batteries, clean and check terminal wires along with the connections on the firewall bus. Then test again. Tell us what you have.

It reads like a few loose connections or a bad voltage regulator on one or both alternators.

ok update. I put the optimas in and had same results. I also cleaned pretty much every ground I could find with a wire brush lots of dirt and stuff. Fired the truck up a few times, volt meter stays in green for fifteen seconds than all the way up into the red.

cucvnut, maybe. Im looking into that contacted the folks from ebay but brand new delco remy rebuilds. Is there anything else in these trucks im over loking that may regulate voltage? I just cant think of anything else

alts

called Autozone they test alts outside the vehicle, so Im going to give that a shot see if it shows the alt as the issue alone or if I can narrow it to the truck. I hope this is simple and the alternator and not another issue within the truck as Im out of ideas on the truck.

Ok so went into Autozone this morning and they tested both alts for me, guy had no idea what an isolated ground alt was. But hooked it up, both passes using the large positive and negative stud, but when he hook it up to the isolated ground FAIL Is this normal? Is there some better way to test isolated ground or are these just remanufactured incorrectly?

ok after cleaning everything up gen one and gen two lights no longer flash red or come on during driving but volt meter goes into red about fifteen seconds after start up. any thoughts?

cpf240

ok after cleaning everything up gen one and gen two lights no longer flash red or come on during driving but volt meter goes into red about fifteen seconds after start up. any thoughts?
Perhaps the resistor on the back of the volt meter is out of spec? I think it is supposed to be 300 ohms, but don't quote me on that...

I have heard about the volt meter resistor before and looked for it on the back where everyone mentions it is located. I have also removed my entire dash and cluster to do bulbs on two m1009's and not seen anything except the actual voltmeter and the little bracket that holds it in. Am I missing it completely or is it just located within the voltmeter? Would I need to remove the volt meter from the panel to get a peek at it? I will google and try to find a picture somewhere.

Perhaps the resistor on the back of the volt meter is out of spec? I think it is supposed to be 300 ohms, but don't quote me on that...

Any idea of where a guy can pick one of these up? Or is the only option to buy a new volrmeter and if yes to the new volt meter any suggestions guys on where to buy a new one? I have googled and checked cucvelectric to no avail.

thanks for the assistance gents

Heres a pic, its on the back of the voltmeter.

cpf240

There was a post where an SS member bought 3 100 ohm resistors, from a place like Radio Shack, and hooked them up in parallel to get 300 ohms.*

For the whole gauge, I'd check the classifieds here. I have seen them on that auction site every now and then. There is also a vendor on SS, Hillbilly Wizards or something like that, and they probably have one for you.

*Assuming my memory on the values is correct...

There was a post where an SS member bought 3 100 ohm resistors, from a place like Radio Shack, and hooked them up in parallel to get 300 ohms.*

For the whole gauge, I'd check the classifieds here. I have seen them on that auction site every now and then. There is also a vendor on SS, Hillbilly Wizards or something like that, and they probably have one for you.

*Assuming my memory on the values is correct...
I will check the radio shack today and look into the other mentioned options also, thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks