• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1 light

Hasdrubal

Few days ago my Gen 1 light didn't come on when I turn the ignition on. Bulb is OK ,occasionally got a faint flicker at night. Kept driving for a couple of days until my stereo died. Front battery was draining, drivers side alternator was hot so pulled it and had it rebuilt. Put it back together,still no Gen 1 light!...Anyone have ideas, is there some kind of relay or whatever I should check out?

Hasdrubal

The Volt meter unfortunately stopped working a year ago, still haven't found a replacement. Have to try that resistor mod I saw on a post here. Anyways 86 M1009...will look at the relay.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
My Son drives the 85 M 1009 everyday and we are having an issue like this one in that the front battery was not charging and the voltmeter was in the yellow range. I pulled the drivers side alternator and had it rebuilt still no charging and I was getting frustrated. I have a big charger on wheels that we just hook up every other night to keep it going but the funniest thing was that when we took it to the New Jersey pines on the trail ride and it was in water deep enough to cover the floor in the cab to six inches the battery started charging and did for about two weeks then it went back to the old ways and is now being boosted every other night. I just need a few hours to get this problem solved but have not had them lately. I will keep you posted if I find out what the issue is or if anyone else knows please chime in.

IRWFO

First, were you doing anything under the hood before this happened? If not first test voltage coming out of the #1 alt. If no voltage, I would say it's the wiring going to the light. In my experience the Alt. won't get excited if the light does not go on. If it is making voltage, get a wiring diagram & start tracing wires from Alt. output to battery. It's going to be a fusible link, bad connector or wire.

CCATLETT1984

there is a link on the alt. itself. mine was blue, but not sure it was the original one. I just removed the fused link from the wire and put in a regular fuse holder with a 10amp fuse. It worked like a charm.

Hasdrubal

No wasn't messing about under the hood before this occured. Had guy at alt rebuild shop load test today, charging good 14.6 volts. Had battery checked, apparently its good. Also drivers alt was warm to the touch after driving. Is this normal? After switching bulbs and fiddling about, Gen light now comes on..go figure. So I found 2 bosch relays, left of the ashtray. One is for Gen 2 the other is for voltmeter, Gen 1 has no relay. No bad connections anywhere in system, also what fusible link? I dont have anything like this on Gen1.

appalacious

bump this thread. This sounds similar to my problem(s):

A few months ago my m1009 was my daily driver. Then, I was starting it trying to get home from work, the starter turned for about 0.8 seconds and completely/abruptly died. Backstory: I installed my own push-button (actually switch-button) start in this truck, which worked fine for a good month or two before this happened. However, it wasn't my finest achievement as far as neatness goes, so after fiddling with the wires under the dash (ignition switch) and seeing varying amounts of flickerage I decided to redo the push-button project. Now I've finally finished that, and not much progress.

Currently, when the batteries are hooked up, the Gen light on the right (can't remember the number, 2 i guess) comes on and the voltmeter reads on the far left of the colored portion. It seems obvious to me that I'm running on 12 volts, but I'm not sure where to go from here. Any ideas?

J

appalacious

ps, the glow plug wait light doesn't come on either and I don't here a buzz ( now I can't even remember if you're supposed to hear a buzz, thats how long its been )

J

appalacious

will do. But I wonder if it might be a fuse or relay do to the fact that I had no problems before, and the problem was abrupt while starting- rather than running. The batteries seem to fine, but I'll check that too.

J

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks