• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 1

walkerbzz11

Hey guys. Can the gen 1 generator/ alternator be purchased at auto parts stores or do I have to get it rebuilt? I broke my current alternator on my M1008 and had another that I was told was good but I had to change out the positive terminal because the spare didn't have one. All I know is my front battery shows 11.8v with a tight belt. Thanks.

Barrman

The stock alternators are isolated ground. You will not find such a thing at a chain parts store. They are easy to rebuild and kits are available on this site from at least 1 member and on eBay.

Have you by chance followed the troubleshooting steps in the -20 TM?

walkerbzz11

The stock alternators are isolated ground. You will not find such a thing at a chain parts store. They are easy to rebuild and kits are available on this site from at least 1 member and on eBay.

Have you by chance followed the troubleshooting steps in the -20 TM?
Don't know how. Forgive me. I'm new. Don't know what stickies are or how to find the manual you speak of. While waiting on a reply I've found one on Amazon and Napa but they want $350.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first forum grouping on the Steel Soldiers mainpage has all of the manuals for everything you need!

walkerbzz11

I heard you can use a stock alternator in Gen 1 position but NOT Genn2 position. Never done it but I heard it works. Makes sense and sounds logical
So far, I haven't found one that will work at an actual parts store. Amazon has one and a shop 30 miles away from me has a rebuilt one. Might take a drive to see them.

87cr250r

Gen 1 does not need to be isolated. I converted my truck to serpentine and CS130 alternators. The CS130 is not available in isolated ground. For the Gen 2 position I drilled out the mounting holes and installed plastic sleeves and used Garolite washers to isolate the entire alternator body.

For your 27SI there is a plastic bushing that installs around the rectifier negative terminal. I believe this bushing is available to purchase. I don't know if any modification needs to be done to the non-isolated body to make it work.

If you're willing to spend $350 for an alternator there are shops that will rebuild your existing alternator. If you want to rebuild your own parts are around $15-50.

walkerbzz11

Gen 1 does not need to be isolated. I converted my truck to serpentine and CS130 alternators. The CS130 is not available in isolated ground. For the Gen 2 position I drilled out the mounting holes and installed plastic sleeves and used Garolite washers to isolate the entire alternator body.

For your 27SI there is a plastic bushing that installs around the rectifier negative terminal. I believe this bushing is available to purchase. I don't know if any modification needs to be done to the non-isolated body to make it work.

If you're willing to spend $350 for an alternator there are shops that will rebuild your existing alternator. If you want to rebuild your own parts are around $15-50.
I believe I'll just buy the one down the road and let them rebuild the 2 old ones I have. They do all that stuff there and it stands a greater chance of being right than if I do it. Thanks.

cucvrus

I have a local shop rebuild my alternators and starters. Auto Electric Services | Leidy Repair | Lebanon, PA
I could buy 2 new alternators and have them converted to isolated ground for $350.
I tried the $15. way and it was a failure. There is more to rebuilding anything mechanical then throwing a few replacement parts in. I toured the shop where he rebuilds. he has electronic equipment and things that he checks things with and does a proper diagnosis on. Sometimes spending the cash up front saves doing the job several times and still spending the cash that you thought you were saving. But it is not my truck, and I can only lead by experience. Good Luck.

walkerbzz11

I have no intention of giving $350. I just said that's what I had found so far at the time. I will have 3 working alternators by the end of the week. A shop in this town close by already has one ready to go and I'm taking my old ones for them to either rebuild or give me the kit to do it myself. There was one on Amazon for $154 but I'm gonna deal with this local bunch. Thanks.

walkerbzz11

I have a local shop rebuild my alternators and starters. Auto Electric Services | Leidy Repair | Lebanon, PA
I could buy 2 new alternators and have them converted to isolated ground for $350.
I tried the $15. way and it was a failure. There is more to rebuilding anything mechanical then throwing a few replacement parts in. I toured the shop where he rebuilds. he has electronic equipment and things that he checks things with and does a proper diagnosis on. Sometimes spending the cash up front saves doing the job several times and still spending the cash that you thought you were saving. But it is not my truck, and I can only lead by experience. Good Luck.
I bought this one at a shop close by. It works. Maybe too good. For some reason my back battery now shows 15.2v when running at start up. It was just showing 14.5 or so. The front battery is now showing in the 14s. So that's ok I'd say. But why does the rear battery charge in the 15s? And I didn't hook up this capacitor when I tested it out. The old one didn't have one so I didn't use it. Should I? Thanks.

Attachments

cucvrus

That won't matter either way. I never dove into alternators real deep. My trucks showed 14.2 on the front battery and I think about 28.4 on the rear battery. I could be wrong, but I think you are using the wrong contacts to measure the voltage. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks