• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 and Voltmeter relays

tdfontaine

The 1009 I recently bought is missing the Gen 2 and voltmeter relays that are under the dash near the Glow Plug module. Are these relays the same part numbers? Does anyone have a part number for them? I don't have any to reference so any help is much appreciated!

If these are missing, would that prevent the truck from turning over?

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they are the same and no they will not prevent the truck from starting. Sorry, I don't have the part number. I have bought them from Napa in the past. All they are is just a standard 20 amp relay like those that come with aftermarket fog light kits or electric fans.

If your starter does not want to engage they might have removed the starter relay too. This one is different from the other two and is mounted in the same area. It can also be purchased at Napa but I don't know the part number for it. If you need a picture of the two types of relays let me know and I will post a picture of the ones in my M1009.

As far as manuals I think CUCV manuals are in the Resources section.

Ruppster
1985 M1009 (for sale due to a military PCS)

Crash_AF

Hey TD, Welcome from another Colorado CUCV owner.

For the relays, go to any parts house and ask for an Air Conditioning relay for a 1989 Jeep Cherokee. You might get one that has a tab on top to bolt the relay to something, but just snap it off or leave it. Makes no difference in operation.

The manuals are available in the 'Resources' tab at the top of the page. You are looking for the 9-2320-289-## series.

We have a Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado meeting this Friday and prospective members are always welcome. If you're interested in attending send me a PM for more info.

Later,
Joe

Buckmaw

Auto Zone had the relays out near the "urban" lighting area. They were $4.99 each.

As for the starter relay, dont fool with it. I took mine out and put a 60A starter switch ($10 @ auto zone) in. I drilled a hole with a step drill next to the voltmeter.

Turn key to on position, press button.

Attachments

tdfontaine

Thanks fellas. Went to Checkers, they didn't have the relay on the floor and the ever so helpful Asst. Mgr had no clue what a SPDT Bosch type relay was. So I told to look up an AC relay for 89 Jeep Cherokee and they had about a bunch in the back. The Asst. Mgr. looked at me in confusion and said 'that's what you wanted'? Makes me wonder if those guys even change the oil on their own cars.

Put in the relays and still no go. Turns out, the Voltmeter was unplugged. Same goes for the instrument cluster. Plugged both in and worked like a charm.

Buckmaw, - The starter relay under the dash is also FUBAR so looks like I'm gonna make the push button mod. I've always wanted a truck with a starter push button! With your starter push button mod, will the starter get activated even if the key is off? I have a young one (2yrs old) and would not be good if she happened push the button when key is off, engine running, etc. I haven't thought about it yet but is there a way activate only when the key is in run position (other than not pushing it).

I also found what I'm pretty sure is the glow plug module housing but there is no module. Traced the wires and looks like it is the housing. Can someone confirm that it is the glow plug module housing?

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

Crash_AF

Yes, that is an empty glow plug module socket.

The starter relay can be replaced by going back to Checker and getting a heater blower relay for a 78 Chevy pickup with AC. Then it will start with the key. Otherwise, you are correct, a starter button mod will allow the starter to crank anytime the button is pressed, regardless of what the key is doing.

Unless you want to pay about $300 for a new card, you are going to have to do the pushbutton mod for the glow plugs. I recommend leaving the rest of the system in place and purchasing a card at some point, but to get the truck running a pushbutton will work. Get a momentary toggle or pushbutton switch and mount it somewhere convenient. Connect one side to ground, the other side you run a wire under the hood and connect it to the small terminal on the glow plug relay that has the light blue wire. When you push the button, the relay should clunk. When you let go of the button, the relay should clunk. Hold the button for 15-20 seconds before cranking the engine. If it doesn't start, stop cranking and hold the button a little longer next time.

Later,
Joe

camerodad

Help: My Battery went Dead, I replaced it, had Alternators checked, and they are good. But now my Gen 2 Light and Voltmeter are not working, I checked the bulbs in the Gen 2 Light, by switching it to Gen 1 Light, bulb is good. Checked all wires on Alternators, no wires loose or Burn't, do these 2 items have seperate fuses or relays, and if so, where are they. Truck starts and runs, it bugs me that I have a Gen 2 Light out, and I can't tell if its charging by the gauge???? Any Help would be appreciated, I'm stuck

Camerodad