• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 Charging Problems Again!

johnny01986

Hey guys I know that this topic has been discussed many times before, but I'm at my wits end on this one.

My bother borrowed my m1028 a couple of weeks ago and the old batteries finally gave out on him. He replaced them however instead of wiring them in series he wired them parallel. Frying my 2nd alt and melting the volt. reg. plug on the 2nd alt too. So I ordered a new alt and fixed the plug, but I've still got no charge on the 2nd gen. And that red light is starting to get annoying.

I tried to do some diagnostic work and this is one thing that I found. (bare with me as I am not a mechanic and defiantly not an electrician!) On the #1 alternator voltage regulator plug I can get an ohms reading with both the positive side of it and the positive battery cable, as well as the neg. side of it and the neg. side battery cable.

On the 2nd alt side. The positive side of the plug and the positive battery cable also both have current, however the neg. side does not have contact with its corresponding neg. battery cable. I would believe that it should. My question is where is the negative side of the 2nd alternator volt. regulator pigtail suppose to be wired too? And can I route it there another way, cause im thinking that it just might be fried.

Also any other suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DaGlitch

I have been meaning to do a write up of this for quite some time. I think i may do one this coming weekend with a whole slew of trouble shooting steps i've found. Anyways, Trace the brown wire back to the connector on the firewall. Do a continuity test on the wire from the alt to the connector on the firewall to make sure the wire is good. From that connector follow it to the diode inside the cab and make sure it didn't pop (usually never does). Now, since they are a pretty cheap part, you will probably want to replace your Gen2 Relay (little black box about a square inch in size). Last but not least, check the fuse in your fuse box to see if it poped. Attached a picture i colored as per the wire color. Hopefully it'll help you out a little bit. Give that a shot and post back your results

Attachments

johnny01986

Where exactly is the diode inside the cab. I've checked the relays already and they are fine ( i did the switch them and see if the volt meter stops working trick), and the 28v fuse is good. Is there another fuse that I need to check in that block?

I'm guessing that something else fried somewhere I just can't find it.