• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 light comes on at idle

lolercaust

Ok this is all good info BUT what if i have two freshly rebuilt alternators and stater, new commercial heavy truck batteries, rock solid connections, brand new gator-backs, and new terminals. All so the truck is at a good fast idle so much so the engine all most over runs at the top of each gear trying to drive it until it warms up and the fast idle switch (new) kicks the solinoid down. But still have a flashing Gen 2 at idle when warm. What do i do then?

markg

Ok this is all good info BUT what if i have two freshly rebuilt alternators and stater, new commercial heavy truck batteries, rock solid connections, brand new gator-backs, and new terminals. All so the truck is at a good fast idle so much so the engine all most over runs at the top of each gear trying to drive it until it warms up and the fast idle switch (new) kicks the solinoid down. But still have a flashing Gen 2 at idle when warm. What do i do then?
after the truck is warm, at idle. put your vom at each battery and post what each battery says for voltage. thanks. mark. gage in the green right on the mark?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know how many time my "new" parts where bad. Seems to be the new standard.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is your low idle speed?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a tachometer.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tach, yes i know but its not like iv got box after box of them siting some were. But never mind i fixed it loss fire wall conection.
So you are saying that your issue was a dirty connection at the firewall plug? The plug that is covered in the black goo?

lolercaust

yes and it was a nightmare to clean but i scrubed it down back to shinny copper. The problem i had was one of the screws that hold the fuse block to the fire wall refused to hold on, thously at idle would rattle around messing with the conection. I drilled out the holes and put in bolts and resnuged the engine/light harness back down and shes good.

lolercaust

Well im back agian and so is the Gen 2 issue, accept its back with a vengerce. I drove the truck around for a while and the Gen 2 light kicked on agian but much more profound. It would flicker when the engine would come down close to idle and at idle it held bright red. Me being a poor college student waiting for the GI bill could'nt afford to do any thing about it, so figured it charges fine running down the road let it go till iv got some money. One afternoon fired her up and no Gen 2 light and the voltmeter droped down to mid yellow. I checked the light and its good, had the cluster out last month and the printed curcit was dusty but perfect. Cleaned and sanded the terminals for the cluster conections. I did the -20 test and heres what i got. Tried to get auto zone to test it but they were scared when they found out its a isolated ground military alternator.

Key Off
Big red wire = 12.8
lil red wire = 12.8
Exciter = 12.4

Key On
Big red wire = 12.8
lil red wire = 12.8
exciter = 0

Im thinking its the alternator im taking it to be rebuilt agian for free becuse its still under warranty, Why not you know. So in summery low charge no gen 2 light at all any more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks