• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 light comes on when decelerating

marand9199

On my M1009 the Gen 2 light comes on momentarily when I take my foot off the accelerator. It then goes out when the motor goes to normal idle. When driving the volt gauge is just leaning into the red zone and goes into green when idle.

I read a bunch of post but nothing like what I just described.

Any ideas? Can I cause any damage driving with the volt meter in the red?

cpf240

My guess would be that the belt is slipping. As for the voltmeter, you need to take actual readings with a DMM or VOM. The gauge in the dash is not a precision instrument.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever rebuilt either alternator?

Have you ever serviced or replaced your belts?

Red high, or red low?

marand9199

I check tension on the belts and they are good. I tighten them up a little and dressed up the pulleys and belts just to see if it helps. Gen 2 light still comes on for a second when letting off the accelerator and volt meter still in the red at higher RPMs.

Alternators had new bearings and bushing put in both this year but were not rebuilt.
Belts are about 3-1/2 years old and have around 14,000 miles on them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Replace the internal regulator, and other cheap internal items.(diode trio, rectifier, capacitor)

Less than $45 to rebuild them.

Your problem is most likely your voltage regulator.

marand9199

Problem solve. I changed the diode trio and rectifier. She's running hot, straight and normal now.

Thanks doghead, cpf240 and to all that have posted alternator pics. I never would have tackled an alternator job by myself without everyone's help. I also had no idea it would be so easy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks