• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 light question

mspector4235

The Gen 2 light in my 1008 is out and has been since I got it. The Gen 1 light works so I swapped bulbs and no nothing on the Gen 2 with Gen 1 light working with other (Gen 2) bulb. They go on a plastic mylar printed circut (no wires). Do these "circut boards" go bad or what? I also have trouble keeping the rear battery charged, the more I run. Would this be part of the trouble :?:

CCATLETT1984

Welcome to the forum, I moved this to the CUCV forum for you. [thumbzup]

You will want to download all of the TM's in the troubleshooting manaul post at the top of the forum.

there is probably an issue with the alternator that charges the rear battery. Pull the passenger alt and have it tested. if that checks out you have a wire issue to take care of.

the cucv electrical wiring for the alternators differs from the civilian trucks, in a civilian truck the "sense" wire has a resistor built-in so if the bulb in the dash burns out the alternator will keep charging. The military didnt want that, as it could cause a issue if the alternator starting failing and the operator didnt know, so they didnt put the resistor on the wire. The side effect of this, is if the wire loses connection or the bulb burns out the alternator will stop charging.

Attachments

rockspider

I check everytime if both gen lights are on before cranking, but a bulb is a bulb, it can die every day of the year without any previous sign. So I'm not very happy about those missing parallel resistor that the military choose to not install.
I'd prefer to see that I do have a faulty bulb but still have the alt working for the back home trip. You know it's not fun to open the dash to change those bulbs, and Murphy's Laws dictate that they will burn always in the worst possible moment/place, e.g. night in the middle of nowhere, and maybe it's raining too!

So my question is, can I add those resistors ? Do I have to runthem in parallel with each bulb, right? Does anybody knows the value for them?

Thanks in advance

Alessandro
from Italy