• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gen 2 light

TedO

I dove into the gen 2 light problem, expecting to find myself taking apart the dash. I started at alternator 2 on the passenger side, looking for the brown and red wires. When I touched the radiator hose that runs across the top of the alternator,over the top of the plactic connector, a big spark shot off. It turns out that the red wire was completely broken off from the plastic connector plug. The connector plug itself looks pretty bad. I have been looking for a part number for this connector plug. Does anybody have it? Or are all of the GM 2 prong plugs the same?

Also, I am having trouble figuring out which fuse is involved with the Gen 2 light. Looking at the wiring diagram, I am finding it difficult to orient myself. What is the power rating of the fuse?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The plug is standard GM. Most parts stores have them for about $5. The red wire is connected to the 24v Positive Terminal block and is hot at all times. The brown wire is only hot when the key is on. It is controlled by the GEN2 relay, GEN2 diode, GEN2 light and bottom fuse.

The GEN2 light is controlled by the very bottom fuse. It is the only 24v fuse in the fuse box. It is a 10amp.

pigtail1.jpgalt plug.jpg

Last edited:

TedO

The plug is standard GM. Most parts stores have them for about $5. The red wire is connected to the 24v Positive Terminal block and is hot at all times. The brown wire is only hot when the key is on. It is controlled by the GEN2 relay, GEN2 diode, GEN2 light and bottom fuse.

The GEN2 light is controlled by the very bottom fuse. It is the only 24v fuse in the fuse box. IIRC it is a 10amp.

View attachment 515488View attachment 515487
Ok, so I replaced the connector, and still no gen 2 light. Then I started in on the dash. Tore everything out, and found the bulb socket was falling out of the plastic circuit sheet. I cant believe they made cars like that. It seems so flimsy. Polished all of the terminals, and bent the arms to make them contact better, polished the copper of the plastic backing with an eraser, replaced all the bulbs. Had to use a 194 for the gen 2 instead of a 192. Couldnt find the 192. The 194 is 10X higher wattage. Put in a new fuse. Put it all back together and now all lights are working and both alternators are charging. woohooo!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks