• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GEN 2 Relay, where are you???

Dispatcher7

GEN 2 is not charging Battery 2. So I began trouble shooting with help for the TM's on this site. Here is what I have found so far:
GEN 2 exciter plug, red wire has 24v, brown wire nothing.
Volt Meter was not working. Removed from dash and found the resistor on the back of the Volt Meter was missing. Replaced the volt meter with a working one.
Fuse 12 which should be 10 amp was 20 amp and blown. Replaced with a good 10 amp fuse. Now the volt meter shows voltage when the key is on, GEN 2 light still does not come on and no exciter voltage.
Changed the GEN 2 bulb with a good bulb, still does not come on and still no exciter voltage.

So I started reading more on here trying to locate the GEN 2 relay, which I believe I have found, but it only has 12 volts to it. One of two relays next to the starter relay.

With the key ON:
The Volt Meter has 24v.
Fuse 12 has 24v, all fuses are good.
GEN 2 bulb is good, but never comes on.

What I believe is the GEN 2 Diode has .8v on each side of it. It was taped up to the wire harness, top of dash near the Volt Meter. A picture on this site said it was the GEN 2 Diode.

Only one wire going to the 6 leg spider near the park break?

Thanks.

EDIT:
Right after posting this I found in the CUCV Switches, Diodes, Relays thread, post #15 that these are the GEN 2 and Voltmeter Relays. "The GEN2 and Voltmeter relay are next to the starter relay. They look the same and have the same wire colors. You will have to test to find the correct one."

I don't see a Voltmeter relay in any of the schematics. And both of these relays only have 12v going to them.

See, I am trying to figure this out without begging for help. But I am still lost.

Thanks again.

Attachments

Last edited:

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GEN 2 is not charging Battery 2. So I began trouble shooting with help for the TM's on this site. Here is what I have found so far:
Volt Meter was not working. Removed from dash and found the resistor on the back of the Volt Meter was missing. Replaced the volt meter with a working one.
Fuse 12 which should be 10 amp was 20 amp and blown. Replaced with a good 10 amp fuse. Now the volt meter shows voltage when the key is on, GEN 2 light still does not come on and no exciter voltage.
Changed the GEN 2 bulb with a good bulb, still does not come on and still no exciter voltage.

So I started reading more on here trying to locate the GEN 2 relay, which I believe I have found, but it only has 12 volts to it. One of two relays next to the starter relay.

With the key ON:
The Volt Meter has 24v.

What I believe is the GEN 2 Diode has .8v on each side of it. It was taped up to the wire harness, top of dash near the Volt Meter. A picture on this site said it was the GEN 2 Diode.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Right after posting this I found in the CUCV Switches, Diodes, Relays thread, post #15 that these are the GEN 2 and Voltmeter Relays. "The GEN2 and Voltmeter relay are next to the starter relay. They look the same and have the same wire colors. You will have to test to find the correct one."

I don't see a Voltmeter relay in any of the schematics. And both of these relays only have 12v going to them.

See, I am trying to figure this out without begging for help. But I am still lost.

Thanks again.
I've been where you are....make you pull your hair out.
Call me @859-808-0836/ Popacom- Bill,and I will tell you what I found.....

Dispatcher7

With the key ON:
The Volt Meter has 24v.

Thanks.

EDIT:

Thanks again.
Well thanks to a conversation with Popacon, I figured out the Voltmeter Relay and now know which one is which. Its all making sense. So now I am still trying to figure out why the GEN 2 relay has 12v on the one post, but does not have 24v on any other post. i thought this relay used the 12v to energize the relay and passed 24 volts to the GEN 2 exciter plug.

Laszlo

Ever find an answer to this? My volt meter doesnt work. 24v coming to the harness for it. 24v at the guage lugs but no reading on the guage. Cleaned the terminals and most others on the teuck and under the dash. Still doesnt work. Anyone know where to buy a replacement resistor ? What rating would i need?any help is appreciatated.

Dispatcher7

Ever find an answer to this? My volt meter doesn't work. 24v coming to the harness for it. 24v at the guage lugs but no reading on the guage. Cleaned the terminals and most others on the truck and under the dash. Still doesn't work. Anyone know where to buy a replacement resistor ? What rating would i need?any help is appreciated.

My problem turned out to be the connection of the GEN 2 Bulb. Once I cleaned the contact area on the circuit board everything came to life.

I'm pretty sure the Ground to the Volt Meter is switched by the GEN 2 Relay. So you may have 24 volts from the terminal to a good ground. Do you have 24 volts across the two terminals?

Sorry I do not know the resistor rating or where to get one. But if you have 24v on one side of the resistor to ground, you should have 12v on the other side to ground.

Laszlo

My problem turned out to be the connection of the GEN 2 Bulb. Once I cleaned the contact area on the circuit board everything came to life.

I'm pretty sure the Ground to the Volt Meter is switched by the GEN 2 Relay. So you may have 24 volts from the terminal to a good ground. Do you have 24 volts across the two terminals?

Sorry I do not know the resistor rating or where to get one. But if you have 24v on one side of the resistor to ground, you should have 12v on the other side to ground.
Interesting. My gen2 light faintly flickers when the lights are on. If i recall i tested between leads on the harnes plug of the voltmeter. A blackwire that did not go directly to the ground comb and a maroon wire? I had 24 volts between the lugs also. I need to pull the dash and cluster anyway to replace. My oil pressure light and left indicator anyway. I will again check the gen 2 bulb. May as well oil the speedo cable while im in there. Thanks for the input. I was stumped. Any lead is better than a dead end.

MarcusOReallyus

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks