• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 Very dim. Relay?

biggestc69

Gen 2 light works as it should at startup and is putting out the correct voltage. At night you can barley tell that its on. If you were'nt looking for it you wouldnt notice it. I've replaced the gen 2 alternator and battery and there was no change. Could the gen 2 relay cause this? The voltmeter also works, but I purchased this m1008 from Boyce Equipment and it looks like its not the orginal one. Its a Stewart Warner maybe from another vehicle thats 24v. I have another socket for the Gen 2 bulb I will try this afternoon, but I was just wanting to pick some of the guru's brains because I'm about outta options. Thanks guys!

notsosanestan

Are you saying that the light is constantly on? or when you start up at night you can barley see it lit?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At idle, or all the time?

Belts new?

biggestc69

The light comes on bright with the key on and goes off when I bump the throttle. At night you can see that the light is just barley on, and even at night you have to get right down next to it to see it. Its on on the time regardless of whether its idling or at cruising speed.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you had your batteries load tested lately?

biggestc69

Thanks for the replies guys. No I havent. I guess that would be the next step. I did switch the batteries from front to rear and the light still stayed dimley lit.

Stonepicker1

I had the same problem in my dually, but mine was with the GEN1 light. It charged ok but at night it would glow just a little at idle. The light would go out at around 1,000 rpms. I replaced the alt and all is good now. Belts were new and tight also.

biggestc69

The belt is tight but far from new. Come Monday I'll hit up NAPA switch it out and see what happens. Thanks again for the replies, just covering my basis and making sure it wasnt something completly obvious.

Hollowman

Mine does the same thing and I dont know why. In addition, if I turn the heater fan up the light grows brighter as the fan speed increases. So I guess it is responding to resistance (increase/decrease?) in that circuit. Next time you're driving yours, try turning on the blower and see if it doesn't do it too.

chevyCUCV

Thanks for the update
I have the same situation in my truck. Been that way for at least 3 months, but could be longer.

Never had any charging issues, verified it several times with mulitmeter.
Belts are 1 year old, still tight, with plenty of adjustment left.
:popcorn:

Matt65

Just got done putting on the new belt and the light is still on just as before. As long as it's charging I guess I won't worry about it.
My 1008 has done this for over 2 yrs. It's consistent, and has never caused any problems. Anything above idle speed and it goes off.

bshupe

I have noticed on my 1031 that the gen 2 light likes to stay on bright after first starting up and then will go out after a couple of seconds or with a little tap of the accelerator. I have also noticed from time to time that I can hear a slight clunk under the dash or on the firewall that is associated with my batt/gen gauge jumping from full green to yellow and back again a couple of times. I have had a couple of mysterious situations where I am driving along and the batt/gen gauge drops to the yellow and progressively drains down on my way home from work or whatever. I presume this to mean the alt is not charging the battery but the gen lights never come on. When this has happened I just put the truck on the charger over night and its all good for a while.

Does this sound like my alt is going bad or maybe a relay? Seems like a chicken or egg problem to me and Im just starting to get into it and try to correct. Does any of this sound similar to what your dealing with or am I having a different problem? Im real curious to know if the clunk I hear is a relay latching/unlatching and if the system is not charging because the relay is going bad or is the relay dropping out because the alt is not charging.

Thanks for any input!

Hasdrubal

I also have a very dim pulsating Gen2 light for the past 2-3 years, usually only visible at night. As well my headlights flicker ever so slightly. New, good batteries, belts tight, good mid green reading on volt meter. Passenger alt was rebuilt back in 2005. I understood this issue required a new diode trio. Decided to wait until I do a complete alt rebuild one day as it doesn't seem to have had any adverse effect except for the faint red light pulse.

bshupe

So after the above post where I was throwing in with the the guys who have an indicated problem but nothing serious happening...... I got to work yesterday like normal and when I went to leave the front battery was dead. The truck started instantly with a little battery booster and then did the same routine with the clunk under the hood and the bat/gen gauge jumping up and down.

Does anyone one have any input on this? It would be very helpful to know if this is a relay problem or a gen problem. I suppose in the end I should just do it all and go on with my life but unlike most of you fine people I dont have a safe full of cash in the shop just waiting to do a ground up restoration on the truck. :-D