• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen 2 wiring

taylordm14

First off let me thank all of you for all your help here with my M1009.

Now to the issue at hand. I was rebuilding the alternators and finished the Gen 1 with no problem. But when I went to pull the Gen 2 off the truck, I discovered that I did not have a brown wire going to the exciter. I have 2 red wires, an orange wire, and the black and red plug.

I thought that this was a stock truck, so is this normal or is there a wiring nightmare getting ready to rear its ugly head. Any tips or ideas on what is actually going on here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
:beer:

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your black and red plug is the same as the brown and red plug. The wire color will change with time and heat. Or they ran out of brown that day....lol

Make sure you hook the red wires to the correct conection. They should have different diameter holes. The smaller goes to the ground post.

That wire "should" have a white stripe, but not always.

Make sure you follow the instructions in the -34 manual and get all the pieces back in the correct place. Very important On GEN2

Last edited:

EXCG_Steve

First off let me thank all of you for all your help here with my M1009.

Now to the issue at hand. I was rebuilding the alternators and finished the Gen 1 with no problem. But when I went to pull the Gen 2 off the truck, I discovered that I did not have a brown wire going to the exciter. I have 2 red wires, an orange wire, and the black and red plug.

I thought that this was a stock truck, so is this normal or is there a wiring nightmare getting ready to rear its ugly head. Any tips or ideas on what is actually going on here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
:beer:
Is that passenger side alt wired correctly? Mine is wired the same and the fusible link (orange wire next to the plug) is broken right at the link. After reading the manual I think it's on the wrong terminal. Just wanted to know your opinion. My Gen2 light does not work and does not charge the back battery.

Thanks.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The orange wire is for the STE/ICE diagnostic system. It attaches to the positive output terminal.

A quick check for the alternators are to remove the two pin plus and check for voltage.

For gen2 you should have 24v on the red wire and 24v on the brown wire with the key on. O volts wit the key off.

EXCG_Steve

Thanks Warthog.

Thats a good tip for an easy check on the alt.

As soon as I started to read your post I remember tracing the orange wire back and thinking it's not needed.