• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen. and Reg. testing

shootiniron

Can anyone here tell me how to test the generator and voltage regulator with common tools and a multimeter?One of mine I think is not working,just need to know how to narrow it down.Thanks.

CGarbee

Do you have the adapter kit that allows you to connect test equipment while the components are still mouted in the truck? If you do, then it's a relatively simple matter to hook up your voltmter, etc., and to test them. If not, it gets a bit interesting... The actual test procedures ares in the Org Maint TM, detailed rebuild and adjusment info for the generator and regulator are in a TM that covers them seperately. I forget the number for it...but will look in my library.

mnibathead

Not sure where everyone is at regarding solid-state V-regulators and M-37's but I found that I wanted an original 'look' under the hood, but use off-the-shelf/solid state components. I haven't had a fire yet, and the 'fix' it seems to work quite well. See the following page (and then scroll down) - the diagram may me of interest to some in the same position

http://biomicro.sdstate.edu/pederses/vogon.html

CGarbee

Thanks for the post/link/info on the conversion. I've been running a solid state regulator in a M38 for a few years without problems, the old breadbox in a couple of stock M37's and have done away with the setup completely in my Cummins powered truck (has a 10SI alternator with internal regulation for power) but will certainly bookmark this for future reference if somethign takes a dive.

Great looking rig you have. I remember taking a gander at your page a while back but had lost sight of it and am glad to see it (and your rig) again.

mnibathead

Garbee
My fix is still running after some 20 hours of operation - plenty of Off/On cycles to boot.
Your own pages have been a constant and most effective source of ideas and tips.
If no one has passed along a thanks in a while - please accept mine
Pedersen

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks