• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen lights and overall dash light weirdness

dr_freeze

I've had my truck for less than a month and I've only driven it a few times, so please excuse me if these are dumb questions.
  • When I first got the truck and I'd turn on the key, both Gen1 and Gen2 lights were on. The last two times I've cranked it, only the Gen2 light is on. I would normally think that the alternator was having issues - but -
  • When I turn on the headlights, sometimes the right turn signal light stays on. After a while it'll go out until the next time. Despite staying on, the turn signal still works -and-
  • Sometimes the parking lights will turn on at half switch, other times not at all until the headlights turn on. (I also have one light with an amber bulb, one with a clear bulb - which one is is supposed to be?)
Are these just general wiring issues and I need to revamp the whole system? Is there something vehicle specific that I need to know (like the Gen light operation)? Does the right turn signal normally stay on for some weird reason?

Any ideas or places to start would be greatly appreciated.

Bigbondo007

My Gen 2 light stays on at startup and dissapears when I touch the throttle and stays off. I'd suggest getting them tested and repaired at a local builder. Check all of your grounds and connections. As with any vehicle of age ground points tend to get corroded or loosen over time. Those would be the first issues I'd tackle, grou d points being the first of those 2.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had my truck for about 3 weeks. And it's all about electrical electrical electrical.
Grounding wires good connections, etcetera,etcetera
Also i think turning indicator bulbs, amber mind were .
My Gen. One light didn't work when I got, it it turned out to be the bulb and the ribbon behind the instrument cluster.

Good luck stay safe

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

dr_freeze

My Gen 2 light stays on at startup and dissapears when I touch the throttle and stays off. I'd suggest getting them tested and repaired at a local builder. Check all of your grounds and connections. As with any vehicle of age ground points tend to get corroded or loosen over time. Those would be the first issues I'd tackle, grou d points being the first of those 2.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I'm going to check all fuses and grounds tomorrow. Just going to go over every wire I see under the hood.

dr_freeze

I had my truck for about 3 weeks. And it's all about electrical electrical electrical.
Grounding wires good connections, etcetera,etcetera
Also i think turning indicator bulbs, amber mind were .
My Gen. One light didn't work when I got, it it turned out to be the bulb and the ribbon behind the instrument cluster.

Good luck stay safe

Thanks. I'll check that ribbon. The light was working for a week or so. I figured that something could have wiggled loose, but it's hopefully the bulb.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I thought mine was just the ball and then the whole instrument cluster came out and it was a disaster.
Just getting ready to get that back together

JD4044M

There is a Ribbon Connection to the Dash Gauges and lots of black ground wires to check. Fuse Block connections ect bad/dirty Bulb Sockets or just burned out bulbs that give these kinds of problems. Just start looking for corrosion problems.

cucvrus

If you find that the printed circuit board at the rear of the cluster has a break in any of the circuit ribbons they can be repaired. Many break right at the connection. In a pinch I have used this product to do repairs on trucks.
Permatex 15067 Quick Grid Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit
It will do the repair and if handled gently during reconnection it will last a long time. I don't do it on a regular basis but it is a cost saver and does no harm. Take care and be safe.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you have the Gen. One light working you will see 14.2 V on the front battery immediately.
When it's out you'll only see battery voltage 12.6 approximately, until you rev it up with enough rpm then it will start seeing charging. At least that's what I found on my truck.

sneekyeye

If you turn on the headlights and the turn signal indicator lights, you have a poor ground on the headlight or marker light circuit, and it's back feeding through that bulb to find a good ground. I had the same problem and cleaning all the grounds fixed it.

JD4044M

I had to totally rewire a 83 Chevy Pick up it was so messed up from others patching things and adding stuff to it. I was teaching a kid how to work on his truck. I just cut all the wiring out and started over with some kit and added better cables where needed. Got it 99% done for him and he lost interest Mom bought him a new truck which he rolled off road not long ago. There not hard to do if you can track what your doing and not drink in the process till done for the day! I was pretty upset he quit on me I wasted a week and said get the truck out of here!100_0669 (640x480).jpg100_0673 (640x595).jpg

Last edited:

dr_freeze

If you turn on the headlights and the turn signal indicator lights, you have a poor ground on the headlight or marker light circuit, and it's back feeding through that bulb to find a good ground. I had the same problem and cleaning all the grounds fixed it.

Wow. Thanks for that advice. I'll get on this right away.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks