• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen Set Q

M215

Hello SS,
Hopefully an easy question about large kw military generator sets. If the data tag only shows the out put as 3 phase, can it be converted to regular 120 / 240 volt single phase?
Basicly I know zip about these units.
Thanks, Karl

NEIOWA

The "flavor" of electicity the power company runs down the distribution lines is 3ph. You get single phase by tapping one side (between 2 legs of the 3 available. So yes you can get single ph off any of the 3ph gensets. All also have a 15amp convience outlet on the panel.

The smaller units are 208 Delta 3ph. The larger (30kw+) are convertible from 208Delta (old style 3ph) to 240 Y 3ph (new style 3ph).

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a thread or two on the rewiring of such things with diagrams and pictures here somewhere. be careful you get it the right way before restarting the set or -bad- things will happen.!

firefighterccfd711

There is manuals on pdf format i believe here about the generators. it tells you what to attach to on the 3 phase to get 120 or 120/240 single phase. also if it is one of the 10 kw sets it will have a switch behind the front control panel that selects what phase setting you need.

Crash_AF

For temporary use you can hook up to either L1 L2 or L3 lug and L0 to get single phase (120VAC) power. I wouldn't recommend it for high amperage (40% or more rated load) prolonged use because it will overheat the windings on the leg, but in a pinch it will work.

When I was in the Air Force, we hooked up a S280 shelter we scavenged from DRMO with AC and power to use as a moble office/break room and would hook one phase to the left side outlets and one to the right to help spread the load.

Yes, the outlets were a 'field modification'.

Later,
Joe

firefighterccfd711

if it is a 10 kw gen set under the control panel there should be a switch to select what phase and volt you want such as 120 single phase or 120/240 single phase or 120 3 phase ect. as for connecting it. there are manuals on this site with info on it. if i recall correctly if you wan 120 single phase use l1 for hot lo for nutral and the groung on the frame and a ground rod running to the ground lug for ground. for 120/240 single phase use l1 and l2 for hot and lo for nutral and the ground. when in the 120/240 you can pull from l1 or l2 for 120 and both l1 and l2 for hot on 240. hope this helps. i would consider using 120-240 with a sub panel and use seperate breakers as to not overload the gen set. id use a 100-200 amp sub panel. and a heavu duty s/o cable but soldier the ends that will connect to the power lugs as to not ruin the wire every time you connect them to the machine. also make sure the generator is a 60 hz for house and tool use as there was also like a 400 hz generator built as well and it would be bad to even try to use for anything other than 400 hz equipment. hope all works well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks