• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen Two Light

bpcole

Just picked up an '84 M1008 for use on my farm. Have had some charging issues (surprise surprise). Was doing fine until a week ago. Charge guage was going lower and lower everyday. Changed out the passenger side generator, no dice. Checked all the connections and cleaned them. No dice. Charged the rear battery up, and its been working fine since them. The Gen 2 light is on, but i have about 26.8 v across the two batteries. (front ones getting approx. 14.3v and the rear is 12.5v) Why would the dash indicator light still be illuminated?

mistaken1

Last edited:

bpcole

Thanks guys for the help, im gonna check out those resommended links. Right now the thing cranks up everytime and the voltage meter is showing green, so i may be able to live with a light on in the dash until somethings changes.

91W350

You will lose a little voltage with every start. The truck runs off of one battery, except to start, then the second battery provides the 24 volt cranking. Eventually, it will discharge enough to leave you dead in the field. Might as well follow the TMs and get it fixed. Glen

1stSarge

Welcome to both bpcole and ChiefMinion !!

A bit suspicious of the “changed out the passenger side generator”. Is that a new alternator? If it was, and the GEN 2 light is still on, then it’s a connection issue. Look for broken wires or bad connections especially in the area of the alternator itself.

You can go for a long time without GEN 2.

Check these pics chasing down an intermittent short:

Attachments

bpcole

I started having problems a little while ago, so i put a brand new altenator on the passenger side. No dice. Had the old altenator checked at Advance Auto and it was good. The new altenator was an extra part my Dad picked up at his work (he works for the military). I thought it might be bad, so I put the old one back on that checked out fine at Advance Auto. The rear battery is charging up to about 12.5 volts, so its not dieing completely. I think its something small like a fuseable link or something like that. Are the TM's up and running on this website?