• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gen works but not charging batteries

gommerdog

My generator is putting out power but nothing is getting to the batteries. There are two small wires cut from the positive side of the batteries, and one from the neg side. Don't know where they went to. not sure where the regulator is

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it the 60 amp alternator (built-in regulator) or the 25 amp job with the regulator on the firewall, the black/od finned box?
The "small" wires shouldn't be involved here.

63sierra10

It should charge your batteries through the starter solenoid. Track down your wires, that is the only advice I can give you, track them down and see where they are going and so on. Also was your guage working? I would also like to be sure that you may be charging the batteries and not know it because the batteries are junk. Check into those options.

I'm having a similar problem with my CUCV M1008. I recently re-sealed the bottom end. New rear main, oil pan, front main seals were all done. While I had the pan off I noticed the timing chain was pretty loose, so I replaced it and the harmonic balancer along with the water pump. When I was putting everything back together, I replaced the two alternators with some rebuilt ones from O'reilys, and paid about twice as much as having them rebuilt by a shop, but figured live and learn.
Anyway, when I was finally ready to crank her back up, the batteries were dead. So I put them both on some trickle chargers, and a day later they were charged. When I went to crank her up, she fired right up, ran for about 2 seconds and died. When I tried again, she turned over and over but would not crank. The batteries also died quickly, so I hooked another battery up as a jumper, and this time she fired up and ran very well. I could tell the difference the timing chain made since she used to pulsate a little @ idle, and now has a steady purr.
However, gen1 light was now on and would not go off. and gen2 light was very dimly lit. Usually, with the old generators, the lights would come on and stay on until I revved the engine slightly, then would go off. Also, the batteries were strong. I decided to R&R the alternators with the old ones. This put everything back to how they were before, but my batteries still are weak. Could it be since the timing chain puts the timing of the valves back to when the engine was new, it is now harder for the starter to turn her over? If this is so, should I get rebuilt starter?
Any advise from those with good electrical experience would be appreciated. I am a transmission mechanic of sorts, but not too strong in the electronics areas - I know enough there to be dangerous...

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm having a similar problem with my CUCV M1008....

The CUCV alternator is a totally different beast than the 24v used on other vehicles. You need to post your question in the CUCV forum and not the Deuce forum.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

gommerdog

Warthog, thanks for the welcome ,I just purchased a 71 AM General Deuce, my first.You were right, I found a wire that had cracked, couldn't really see it through the insulation. Turns out, a friend of mine's son-in-law was a mechanic for national guard in Tenn. and still has all his manuals for my deuce, so hopefully I won't be asking too many more stupid questions Thanks for all the help you guys provided. I'm glad I found you.

3rdmdqm

There are no stupid questions. The only stupid questions are the ones never asked. Welcome aboard! I have found this site invaluable and there are plenty of great people happy to help out.:smile:

tlib

HELP !!!
I am putting in a new wiring harness in this puppy.
I still can't get the right link for the wiring diagram for M35 1969.
The link doesn't seem to work !! Anybody have it ??:cry:;)

Thanks !!!!!

M35Brown

You say your Gen/Alt is putting out, but not charging.
Is it showing 25+ volts,
It can show volts, but you need to check the AMPs, if you have low or no AMP output it will not charge.
You will need an AMP Clamp on a Multimeter to check this.
I agree with the previous post, probably a broken wire.

greenjeepster

If you are looking at the gauge and thinking that it isn't charging the batteries because the gauge isn't showing anything than welcome to deuce gauges... They are not reliable.

So you said that a shop said the alt is charging.
You said the batteries are two days old.
So other than the gauge, how do you know the batteries are not being charged?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks