• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen2 light on

Drock

Quick question. Did you rebuild it by replacing the internal parts? I am asking because I been to a shop where they rebuild these electrical parts. They have a lot of testing equipment and are able to diagnose things better then the average guy. I heard of diodes going bad to the connection at the heater fan motor causing these dim light conditions. As far as I know there is nothing on the back of any cluster I ever had out to effect the light. Just a printed circuit board on a flimsy plastic sheet with copper strips imbedded in it. Good Luck. I say go to a good job if you didn't already and check out the fan wire /fan switch connections. Have a great day.
Yeah I just bought a rebuild kit of Ebay and did it at my kitchen table. I get (27.1) from the plug on GEN2, but when I pull the pug and test the male tangs on the alternator themselves I get nothing?

cucvrus

May I suggest taking it to a local electrical shop. There is more to it then meets the eye. I watched them already. I have a local shop that rebuilds them and I have great luck. But that is just a suggestion. Do as you wish.

Hello!

For me, the Gen2 lamp has also lit.
Sometimes just like this and sometimes when I switched the fan from position 1 to position 2 or 3.

For me it was a fuse (fuse box in the foot area). She had bad contact.
Unfortunately, I no longer know which one it was.
Maybe just check all the fuses on good contact and tight fit.

Perhaps that is still a possibility.

I hope I have translated this comprehensible.

Good luck.

In German:

Hallo!

Bei mir hat auch mal die Gen2 Lampe aufgeleuchtet.
Manchmal einfach so und manchmal, wenn ich den Lüfter von Stellung 1 auf Stellung 2 oder 3 geschaltet habe.

Bei mir war es eine Sicherung (Sicherungskasten im Fussraum). Sie hatte schlechten Kontakt.
Leider weiß ich nicht mehr, welche es war.
Vielleicht einfach einmal alle Sicherungen auf guten Kontakt und festen Sitz überprüfen.

Vielleicht ist das noch eine Möglichkeit.

Ich hoffe, ich habe das verständlich übersetzt.

Viel Glück.

Greetings from Germany,

Holgi

Rvitko

A working alternator puts out approx 14.4 v I think gen 1 is bad. One thing I have found will point to gen 1 is assuming you have a working OEM style wiper motor, if the washer will no longer engage I consider that confirmation of a gen 1 problem.

cucvrus

What does the wiper motor washer have to do with the generator 1? That washer motor on this old trucks is stricken with issues. Most I have wash relentlessly until they run out of fluid. Then I go to Autozone and get a free replacement. Problem solved for now. 1984 Chevrolet trucks were the last year they had that antiquated washer pump system. They went onto the washer motor in the reservoir tank in 1985 and it has been there since. i am not sure there is any correlation that fits your analogy of the washer motor not working means generator 1 is bad. Please explain.

Rvitko

I assume that the voltage gets too low on the 12v circuit to hold down the solenoid that activates the pump plunger, all I know is I had this same problem, fixed gen 2, no dice, at the same time I was cursing my new wiper motor for quitting and after I fixed gen 1 both worked, battery only if fully charged is 13.2v, if the alt is working it is 14.4v. My hunch is that makes the difference

cucvrus

I assume that the voltage gets too low on the 12v circuit to hold down the solenoid that activates the pump plunger, all I know is I had this same problem, fixed gen 2, no dice, at the same time I was cursing my new wiper motor for quitting and after I fixed gen 1 both worked, battery only if fully charged is 13.2v, if the alt is working it is 14.4v. My hunch is that makes the difference
Coincidental diagnosis. I am positive that the wiper/washer has nothing to do with the generator 1 or generator 2 charging. That I will bank on.

Rvitko

I'm also positive it has nothing to do with the charging circuit, but drock should have 14.2-14.8 at alt 1 if it works, he has 12v and that is enough to run everything else, I am trying to give him a way that could rule out a errant voltmeter or a real alt 1 issue, that is all I am trying to say.

Drock

I'm out of town again till Monday, so next week I'm going to try and steal some time to take both alternators and have them tested.

Drock

Well finally got around to testing the #2 alternator, and it tested bad. So I ordered a new one off Ebay and installed it yesterday. The volt meter now reads just past center, so definitely an improvement. However the GEN2 light doesn't illuminate when I turn the key on before starting?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks