• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen2/Voltmeter Question

lindsaym

My M1009 was converted to 12V before I purchased it. The Gen2 light has never worked, and the needle on the Voltmeter wavers slightly when I turn on the batteries but that's it. I've found some literature on this site about changing bulbs and relays etc, but my question is this: Would the conversion to 12V effect any of these parts? The vehicle runs fine and I've never had any issues with power loss. I've also taken the instrument panel off and tested the wires at the Voltmeter is getting power. Thanks!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which alternator was removed for the 12v conversion? How was it done? Did the PO use the Rosscommon Equipment method?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GEN2 light will never work. The alternator was removed. As muddobber stated, on the back of the VM is a retangle shaped resistor. Remove it and see it the VM works. Be advised that you need to unhook you batteries as the VM is hot at all times and has exposed terminals.

Last edited:

lindsaym

Gotcha. I've taken off the resistor. I will put everything back on tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks for the help!

muddobber40

Make sure the positive wire doesn't touch the VM case. A better way would to test it would be just jumper the terminals the resistor connects, as the resistor is an isolator as well. Keeps the positive wire from grounding on the case which could ruin the VM along with blowing the fuse. Also, you can check resistance of the resistor. Should be around 300-330…this has been what I usually get. Then you can use a 150 ohm 1/2W( pretty sure…Ill check my resistors in the morning) resistor to make it work for 12V. There used to be a place that sold the rectangular resistors, but I have not been able to find them for awhile so I just use the wire ones. Just be sure to use a non conductive washer to keep the wire away from the case.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks