• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Deuce Q's

Rattlewagon

OK, since I am new to MV trucks, I have been trying to learn as much as I can about the M35 as I can, I have done numerous searches for this info, some have been helpful however, I still have more questions.

1. What is the difference in the MF engines? Why do some have what look like little filters or pumps and plumbing and sometimes even a metal cover over them? This is all on top of the engine sitting directly above the cooling manifolds.

2. What is the difference in the trans shifters? Some are bent while others have a gentle arc... Also, I have noticed that the horn buttons are different; some are large while others are small... I understand that it maybe just the age of the truck, but just an observation...

3. How hard is it to install another airpack for 2 zone braking? Are the parts even available without "engineering" something? What kind of proportioning valve would be used? (I think this alone is what gives me concern about owning one of these trucks.)

4. What mileage do the transfer cases usually seem to start popping out of high range?

I know some of these seem academic but I would rather be informed than sorry. :oops:

Thanks
dan

Stan

RE: General Deuce Q

1. This is the maniford heater for cold weather starting, some have an either injection system instead.

3. I belive it's the M35A3's have a split system, so you don't have to engineer a system.

4. Haven't read of a mileage range, never really know the miles for sure anyway.

Just what info I could offe rI'm sure theres more to follow.

DanMartin

For #3, some of the later A2s (mid-80s up to 1988) came with the split system, as do all of the A3s. Honestly it's a bit of a plumbing nightmare under there...lots of lines and whatnot all concentrated into one area. I would hate to reverse-engineer one. IMO: Buy a deuce with the newer system already installed...you'll be glad you did.

Here's the TM on the split brakes:

SMARPI 9-2320-209-14&P

See the below pic for a layout of the system (lots there):

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned

What your seeing on top of the engine is the Intake heater.Consist of a big can(Coil),I think a pump for the fuel,some wires and hoses,a spark plug and fuel nozzle in the intake elbow.Older setups were more linear and uncovered while newer ones were compact on a plate with a metal n shaped cover over them.

For the shifters.The straight one is a gasser shifter.The Z shaped ones are for multifuels.They are interchangable so they may have just reused a shifter off an old gasser or just switched the gears in the tranny and used all the old parts when converting a gasser truck to a multifuel.

Horn buttons....The BIG one that looks like a cover on the wheel is the old style.The new style has a rubber ring with a smaller button in the middle held in place with a metal snap ring.You can go back and forth depending on your taste or availability of parts.The newer style is better sealed and less prone to water damage.

Later model deuces(80s) came with dual circuit systems.You might be able to just install the dual components and upgrade a older deuce.Not sure,Never really looked into it.

There is no year range.Just how hard it was beat to death.You can have one truck with 10,000 miles and the gear boxes are total junk and you can have a truck with 80,000 miles and still be like new.A lot of it can also be the linkage.My new truck was adjusted to clear a radio mount between teh seats and it hits the floor in low range.Gotta really slam it down to get into gear....I gotta fix that....

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Updating to split brakes will not be as easy as one would think. You can get the master cylinders but still need 4-5 parts that you cant get (like the bracket to mount the m/c). AMG will NOT sell to individuals. Unless you find a parted out truck, parts will be VERY hard to find.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want the dual circut brakes, but a ex-USAF truck.. Mid 80's on up.... Retrofitting a dula system will cost you more in parts than a whole truck readily equipped...

Rattlewagon

It seems to me that even if I look long and hard for a USAF truck, I am eventually going to have problems with sourcing brake parts. So, with that said, am I making more of this than needs to be? Is one zone that big of a deal?

as for the "stuff" on top of the engine. If it’s not there and there is no ether bottle on the firewall, does that mean that the truck has no cold weather starting assist? Short of a coolant heater, or squirting ether in the intake, how would you get he truck started in the winter?

thanks,
dan

SpruceDeuce

dan,

where is southwest pa are you?? cause thats where i am

we can meet up and you can look/drive my deuce as i am getting ready to paint it and throw some new parts on it within the next few weeks

as far as starting in the cold, my truck has the cold weater starting kit installed but it does not work, i just crank the engine and give it a little pedal and it will start even with the hood covered in snow and it being fairly cold out

Rattlewagon

SpruceDeuce said:
dan,

where is southwest pa are you?? cause thats where i am

we can meet up and you can look/drive my deuce as i am getting ready to paint it and throw some new parts on it within the next few weeks

as far as starting in the cold, my truck has the cold weater starting kit installed but it does not work, i just crank the engine and give it a little pedal and it will start even with the hood covered in snow and it being fairly cold out
Bryan, I live in Prosperity. I would love to check out your truck. The only ones that I have been close enough to touch were at the Washington fair when the guard unit was trying to talk the kiddies into joining... the other one was at Judson Wiley concrete when one of their drivers had "maddog". havent seen that one in a while, thought about trying to buy it but....

never drove one though...

thanks,
dan