• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General/frequent problems with the AM General HMMWV

BleedDemon

A friend at work (Army veteran, recent Middle East wars) told me of these vehicles being in the shop more than they were in the field. Can anyone agree or disagree with him?
Another friend at work says he can get them at a price I don't believe (if it's a fully functional, running truck that costs halfway between what he says and what I've seen, it'll be a purchase probability. Lol) and it's about 3 hours from where I live. No big deal.

If there are lots of issues, what are the usual suspects? Are they easily (and sustainably) mitigated?

Any help is appreciated.

Here's a picture of an M715 for fun. :)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like the 218 transfer cases were not up to the demanding conditions in Iraq. Lots of 242s got swapped in with the mechanics working in sand. Also, some of the GM 6.5 NA engines had issues, but most of them have been replaced already as well.

BleedDemon

Seems like the 218 transfer cases were not up to the demanding conditions in Iraq. Lots of 242s got swapped in with the mechanics working in sand. Also, some of the GM 6.5 NA engines had issues, but most of them have been replaced already as well.
Helpful, also! Thanks, NDT.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
People fail to realize the the HMMWV's coming out are for the most part pretty beat. The truck was only designed to last 12-15yrs.....it's more then double that now and still going. Biggest issue I see...bad mechanics, jury rigging,
no PMCS. I learned In aviation to wipe down the aircraft daily...hence, it was called a daily.
i get trucks in all the time cuz the owners are just operators...nothing more.
a few minutes of checking basics like fluids and half shaft bolts will prevent a lot of the issues.
you have to go over the entire truck, replace all fluids and then get on a scheduled maint routine.
mine is a simple one...if it's wet, it's leaking. Find the leak, fix it...or at least classify it.

i have a new truck coming this week...I trust no one, so it will get all fresh fluids, and all systems will be function tested.
then the truck will be stripped down of all padding and pressure washed, as well as under carriage, geared hubs, diffs etc.
all hose clamps will check and hoses checked.
it will take approx 4days to go over the truck.

darr3239

My comment was tongue in cheek.

I'm not going the auction route, but even so I know I'll have to have a little more money in the bank to deal with what ever I find, including the routine maintenance. What I can do myself will be part of the hobby.

Doug Roberts

I've been watching them for awhile . They were going wayyyyy high for me , and even now , still high I guess . It's the utility value the trucks offer a civillian property owner. I don't see it there in the HMMWV yet. That might change

darr3239

Tongue in cheek or not...it maked no diff on auction truck or not.
Roger that.

I feel if I find one which has been in private hands for a few years it will have been taken care of better than the younger military guys. Mainly due to the fact that enthusiasts care more about their vehicles, and tend to do the routine maintenance more carefully.

It's not a guarantee of any sort, but better than buying directly from an auction, on average.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Roger that.

I feel if I find one which has been in private hands for a few years it will have been taken care of better than the younger military guys. Mainly due to the fact that enthusiasts care more about their vehicles, and tend to do the routine maintenance more carefully.

It's not a guarantee of any sort, but better than buying directly from an auction, on average.
I wish that were true....the military installs NOS parts, civs install for the most part Chinese and Mexican knock offs.
like any purchase, you have to inspect it and know what to look for....we are all at the mercy of our technical
ability and knowledge when buying any new vehicle platform. But like I said, a larger percentage of owners are just operators. The number reason for shop visits is lack of PMCS.

BLK HMMWV

Their not called High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicles (HMMWV's) for nothing.
I own one have for 10 plus years now, haven't stopped throwing money at it yet.
Probably won't until I sell it.

Kind of like a Boat (Break out another Thousand)
Like they say the two happiest days of an owners life is the day they buy it and the day they sell it.
Everything in between is the Hobby and Hobby's cost money.

If you don't learn to PM them and like it you probably shouldn't own one.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks