• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General Motors Defense projects

gt1009

Ever heard of the ford SORP-special off road package truck? kind of the same thing as the EMP truck GM makes. It's like a off road ready F-350 too bad it's only availible to the gov and approved businesses.

JCease

I like the way that crewcab truck looks, and the bowtie in the winch bumper/grille guard!! I think that in order to puchase the SORP you have to be a government agency or a fleet purchaser. I have heard that there is a special process in which you have to demonstrate a need for that type of vehicle. I woud imagine oil companies and mining operations would be the likely users. Places that are tough to get in and out of. A while back, on an episode of "Extreme 4x4" they built a similar vehicle using all aftermarket parts. Aside from the "king Ranch" or whatever special edition paint job that was on the truck it looked pretty good. I am a fan of simple paint jobs, all white or tan would have looked much better.

** EDIT**

I would imagine they don't want the average joe truckbuyer to buy one and then thrash it off road which could put Ford into a liability situation.

jeli

I've seen the white ones in Arizona. Border Patrol uses them. They had a spot inspection about 10 miles in from Mexico. I really wanted to get an up close look at the bumper but I didn't figure they would be to keen on that.

citizensoldier

Sorry for being negative guys but I would buy 10 deuces and some other goodies before I would pay the price tag on one of those things. Get out in the shit and a compooper chip decides to puke and your all shot up. Over priced and unservicable. Throw away vehicles. Just my exsperiance and two cents. No need to get pithy... Talking practicality..

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't think it is funny that the companies continue to sell the military vehicles that cost so much and still can be taken out by an AK round or two.

I have been reasoning with the big truck companies for decades to do the right thing in this regard and only after loosing too many Soldiers due to sheet metal only protection did we forcet them to consider add on armor that should have been designed into the vehicle in the first place.

If Detroit had put their engineers to work years ago on armored wheeled vehicles we would have had an edge over the terrorists that what to kill us. Heck I can armor my duece with just some plate and my plasma cutter at least to protect against SAF.

Nothing I could do would deal with the Explosively Formed Projectile (EFP) IED's that our heros are facing now but they still need your and my daily prayers.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David, showing my ignorance here. Is SAF shouldered arms fire or something of that nature?

citizensoldier

Yep agree with you armyman.. Wheres the armor? Wheres the power take off so you can do something with it? Wheres the PTO winch? How about a air locker? Can you rebuild anything on it in the field? Bet those anti locks suck on a mountain side.. All looks, big price tag,and throw it away when your done.. Dont agree with the concept that all auto makers have gone to.. How cheap can we build it and how much can we charge..To hell with the guys in it or the person who may need it later.. "screw em!" I would buy a Unimog and get my money worth first..
Ahhh that felt good to vent a little...

jumpmasterjim

I spent 2 years in Iraq myself. Up armored HMMVs were under powered but took one helleva beaten. My 1st tour in Falluja 2003 we didn't even have armor!!! We were the luckiest SOBs on earth. Believe it or not the Shell back HMMVs'with polymer doors repelleled 7.62 rounds. Not straight on. I did take an RPG through the drivers side door. It( polymer) didn't stop that. But luck shined and it didn't explode. 2nd tour we had Up armored. They took a whole lot of abuse from SAF/IEDs'. but I believe that Luck was again on our side again. But were definitely under powered. The winch on uparmor was whofully underpwered as well. We had the fortune of getting stuck past the frame in mud a few times. We had to call in the Cavalry and get recovery teams.

citizensoldier

Well with all that said I am glad you made it home alive. Thank you from the bottom of my being for your service! You are a hero in my book!
Thats the problem with the afterthought method. Kinda designed in peace time. You guys should have never been put in that situation if you ask me. You should have been able to roll in with LVT's or some type of truck with armor all over it and enough power to pull another one with it if you had to. Ticks me off and glad your lucky or you would not be here...Stay safe man... 2 years over there is enough to ask of anyone..

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Ditto on the safe trip home jumpmasterjim.

That's what I love about this site. We can always get a good dialog going about anything. Nobody gets flamed for posting links like the one I posted above. We just get a good honest discussion going about the merits or lack thereof of the above vehicles.

I appreciate your service to our country guys and your honest opinions!

85-m1028

citizensoldier said:
Yep agree with you armyman.. Wheres the armor? Wheres the power take off so you can do something with it? Wheres the PTO winch? How about a air locker? Can you rebuild anything on it in the field? Bet those anti locks suck on a mountain side.. All looks, big price tag,and throw it away when your done.. Dont agree with the concept that all auto makers have gone to.. How cheap can we build it and how much can we charge..To heck with the guys in it or the person who may need it later.. "screw em!" I would buy a Unimog and get my money worth first..
Ahhh that felt good to vent a little...
Amen brother!! [thumbzup]

85-m1028

citizensoldier said:
Well with all that said I am glad you made it home alive. Thank you from the bottom of my being for your service! You are a hero in my book!
Thats the problem with the afterthought method. Kinda designed in peace time. You guys should have never been put in that situation if you ask me. You should have been able to roll in with LVT's or some type of truck with armor all over it and enough power to pull another one with it if you had to. Ticks me off and glad your lucky or you would not be here...Stay safe man... 2 years over there is enough to ask of anyone..
and another Amen!!!!!!!

ida34

I was taking a load of shingles to the dump when I lost all electric power. Everything was gone. I decided not to turn the truck off at the dump and I am glad I did it that way. When I got home I found that all the electrical power included the starting circuit. A wire chaffed on the rear of the engine and cut off all electrical power. It had done it before and the GI just twisted the wire together. I fixed it properly. My longwinded point is that I had a complete electrical failure and still was able to complete my "mission" for the day and drive it all the way home.

cobra

about those Cucv threes, we ( Canada) currently own 534 (not an 535 because we totaled one already, and yes its scrapped ). Canada is going to get another 215 by march 15th. Gm's Oshawa Truck plant just finshed making the '07 silverado, so now there going to military production runs. I believe We paid about 34,000$ Cdn each. I will hopefully get some pics

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks