• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

general Trailer question

k1hb

I have to pick up a m1102 in ny state.
I thot I could just hitch it up to my suburban
but I cannot get a license for going on road in mass without registering it
you cannot register surplus trailers on base
bummer

so the other option I have is an open uhaul trailer with ramps and hope someone strong will help load! not sure yet....
I guess the 5x9 ramped trailer is too small and I will need the 9x12 big'une.

will the m1102 fit and will my 1500 be good enough to schlepp it? track width is 72.5 in, overall width is 85.6 in ....I guess above the axles...

any other solution by someone who has done it?

I think I got the m1102 with bows for a good price: 605.-- all included....not too shabby

interested in your opinions, for a first time buy its quite a bit of nerve grinding....

fred

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not get a "in transit permit" from DMV and a set of magnetic tail lights and tow it home after you give it the once over . Picking it up from Drum ?

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have already checked for your state, but some states allow you a short time to transport a vehicle with just a title/bill of sale from the seller as long as you're insured.

k1hb

my ins agent should know! no such favors here.
the ny temp license app says: not valid in Massachusetts. hahaha

on the description of the vehicle it says DTID : W809NU33177201

could that be the vin, anybody know?
because then I can get a mass license because I have the invoice and payment in full docs, just no formal bill of sale....

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like the only legal way to move it is to haul it or go there and get the VIN so you can register it before you recover.

I know TN has a trailer registration law but by and large it's not enforced on non-commercial vehicles.

Ratch

I don't know anything about Mass., but you'll probably need to get an SF97 form for another $70 from GL or the government, and use that to register. In the meantime, renting a flatbed to haul it is your best bet.

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get Plate.attach plate.make sure lights work(adapter- lights will be dim but they will work)drive politely.smile (a lot).Have done it three times from new jersey fort drum and pennsylvania . Not recommending it but I had no choice except to exceed trailer value in shipping costs.

MarcusOReallyus

so the other option I have is an open uhaul trailer with ramps and hope someone strong will help load!

That's why come-alongs were invented. I put my M1028 on a trailer by myself using TWO come-alongs and a good chain. It's quite a bit heavier than your trailer. Just take your time, be safe, and you can get it done.

will the m1102 fit and will my 1500 be good enough to schlepp it?
fred

Should be fine, unless you have a V6. I towed my M1028 behind my E350 with a dinky little 351. Of course, I was only going a hundred miles or so.

Just make sure you have a brake controller and the trailer has brakes. Or surge brakes on the trailer.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend Maine Trailer Registrations. Can be done on line with a credit card and a plate is in your hands in 5 days. All you need is the date, mfg, weight. ( you can get all of it of the GL description usually) No title or Notary needed as they are your agent.

Simple and painless. Also, perfectly legal for residents of any state.

Check out how many trailers on major trucking fleets and intermodal chassis are registered in Maine next time you are on the interstate.

Ratch

I second the idea of hooking up and towing home. To be 100% legal and protected in a crash, you'll need a flatbed and to haul as cargo, but to slide a little, you'll most likely be fine just towing it.

I've had casual chats with guys loading me out about getting dueces and 5-tons home, and they say, "just drive it, and take it easy".
I've picked up dozens of trailers without tags from right off the lot. I've never had a problem. I've taken my M101 on 400 mile trips many times and forgotten the plate...
So to be legal, haul it as cargo. If you're not really worried, hook up and tow it. If you do that, make sure you inspect it for roadworthiness...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks