• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator 1 light on

jmsneorrcom

84 M1009 - would not start so I replace all the battery cables(started right up) - now the Generator 1 light is on - batterys are fully charged and it seems the alternator is charging - any Ideas? - thanks

edmorgan099

also have this problem

i was wondering if both batteries should read well over 12 volts while the engine is running, my rear battery showed about 15 on the volt meter and the front showed 12.6, about the same as when the truck is not running.

Barrman

12.6 volts is a fully charged battery at rest. 14.4 volts is what each battery should show when the truck is running and the alternator is working. Depending on how you measure, you might get 12.0-14.4 on one battery and 26.4-28.8 on the other. 28.8 across both is considered the goal by the way. Sounds like you have a charging system in need of help.

azex

I've got a similar issue with my M1008. We had another M1008 to compare it too and all the wiring looked identical.

However, my rear battery, shows 26.6v, as does the passenger side Alternator, EVEN WHEN NOT RUNNING. While the other battery shows 14 or so, and the driver side Alternator shows the same.

Very weird. I had a battery blow up last July 4, just KABOOM, and the top was blown off, if it's getting 26.6v all the time, isn't this bad and won't it contribute to the battery cooking dry and going bad?

How about that other truck? Why did it test front battery:14, rear battery 14?

SGT Estum

I've got the same (or similar) problem, so I just happen to have the -20 TM open to the troubleshooting section.

From page 2-59:

6. GENERATOR LIGHT REMAINS ON OR TURNS ON DURING OPERATION (ALL EXCEPT M1010)
Step 1. Check engine idle speed. (See paragraph 3-25)
Step 2. Disconnect connector from left alternator (if “GEN 1“ light is on) or right alternator (if
“GEN 2“ light is on). Turn key to “RUN” position.
If generator light is not on, trace circuit from alternator connector to generator
Iight in instrument panel. (See wiring diagram F-11) If circuit is good, replace
alternator. (See paragraph 4-2)
If generator light is on, trace circuit from alternator connector to generator light
if instrument panel. (See wiring diagram F-9)

mtn man

do the 'shade tree test' swap the alternators and see if Gen 2 light is on... if so its the alternator that has decided it didn't want to play anymore. If the gen 1 light remains on you can began the wiring fun. been there done that... but as you know this site is a great source of endless help good luck [thumbzup]

1stSarge

do the 'shade tree test' swap the alternators and see if Gen 2 light is on... if so its the alternator that has decided it didn't want to play anymore. If the gen 1 light remains on you can began the wiring fun. been there done that... but as you know this site is a great source of endless help good luck [thumbzup]

“Field Expedient Fault Isolation”

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:roll: FEFI (aka, feefee test!) [thumbzup]

jmsneorrcom

on the firewall directly behind the driver side alternator where the battery cable runs along the firewall. there is a cluster of wires. they are blue go into a black connector and then are red. the black connector, do those come apart there?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
on the firewall directly behind the driver side alternator where the battery cable runs along the firewall. there is a cluster of wires. they are blue go into a black connector and then are red. the black connector, do those come apart there?

The black connectors are sealed and have to be cut off. They connect the regular wire to the short piece of fusable link wire.

When I need to replace a fusible link, I cut the wire right behind the black connector and use a butt splice connector to attach the link. I cover the connector with shrink tube. There are many youtubes showing how to do this.

jmsneorrcom

The black connectors are sealed and have to be cut off. They connect the regular wire to the short piece of fusable link wire.

When I need to replace a fusible link, I cut the wire right behind the black connector and use a butt splice connector to attach the link. I cover the connector with shrink tube. There are many youtubes showing how to do this.
so the blue wire is the fusible link? if not how do you know what the link looks like