• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator 5ABG

papercu

Anybody have any info on a Military generator 5ABG 0r 3ABG?
Only thing I found on Google or Smokestack was that it was from around 1953 and had a Continental N56 all aluminum 4 cylinder flat head engine.
The 3ABG has electric start and the 5ABG has a pull cord?
Looking for manuals and specs, not parts. TIA, Wayne

The post you saw on Smokestack was me. I have the wiring diagram from the door of my 5ABG and possibly for the 3ABG. As a side note the 5 runs at 3600 RPM and the 3 at 1800. 3600 is way beyond design specs for the N56 according to Continental ( now called WISCON , a merger of Wisconsin engine and Continental engine )

There is a site called WORTHPOINT or something similar that replays E bay auctions, there was one from 2007 that had a pile of manuals, there was a listing for 5ABG-4M manual #5 ENG 7+8=5052 May 1956 76 Pages. The " manual #5 " might just have been the sellers reference number. This is only the second time I've come across any reference to a manual.

I talked to someone a few years ago that was enlisted in Alaska. These generators were usually air dropped, some went over the side of a clif and are probably still there.

My 5 has a place for a old style pump up gasoline fueld hand torch, this was used to preheat the engine. The 3 has a long since removed gasoline fueled battery powered heater plumbed into the coolant.

Dodge man

I know this is an old thread but I just found a Model 3ABG-4E generator made by Onan and I'm trying to find out more about it. Does anyone have anything additional on these? The schematics, data plates and plates showing different parts of the generator are still with mine but the paint on some is flaking off and will fall off (along with the data) if anything touches it. I'm trying to get photos of them in order to preserve the data but the plates are dirty and hard to read.

PS: My generator is dated 30 Mar 1951.

ID Plate.jpg

Last edited:
Got a e mail they you posted on my thread.Your gen makes only the 5th xAGB series I've come across.Let me dig around for some pictures. Also check you PM box on this site.

Dodge man

Yeap, they certainly seem to be scarce. Your posts here and on SmokeStak are the only ones that I could find that had any real information. Tell where did these fall in the line of military generators? I know about the PE and PU units used during WW II and that there were AB(somethings) used later and then the MEP line, so where do these fit in there? Any idea when this series started and ended? As I mentioned mine is dated 1951.

Is there any place to get replacement parts for the N56 engines? I'm told that the engine on this one has a blown piston. But I'm not sure of that since it doesn't look like it's been tampered with and I haven't had a chance to check it yet. I got a crank handle with this one, is it by any chance the same as that used on the WW II Jeeps? (fingers crossed!) I took a buttload of pictures. I'll try to get them edited and posted somewhere.

More later.

Dodge man, check your private message box and e mail me. I have a parts manual scanned. Contacting me directly through e mail is the best way as this site crashes my computer most of the time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks