• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator AUX fuel Tank

Haoleb

I use a Hilift on my trailer. It is plenty steady as long as you have the trailer parking brakes on both sides. Without the parking brakes yes it does want to just flop over.

On the bright side, between the tongue weight and the lunette it would be hard for your average thief to steal it!

Chainbreaker

Hmmm, now you have got me wondering about my parking brakes...I had mine both set a while back when I was jacking my #1 genset and tongue started to do a slow side twist with Hi-lift starting to lean right before I caught it just in time. Maybe my brakes are worn or in need of parking adjustment. Although, since I now have jack legs installed I'm not as concerned but it might pay to check parking brake adjustment so I know it really holds tight when I need it to!

Haoleb

I have noticed that with the brakes applied I really can only move the tongue back and fourth maybe 8-10 inches before the brakes stop anymore travel. When I use the Hi-Lift she goes straight up and I keep it stored on the Hi-Lift to keep the weight off of the pneumatic tire I added to the original jack.

On my #2 spare MEP-002a on M116A2 trailer I knew it needed an onboard auxiliary fuel tank installed but I hadn't gotten around to it. This notion was further reinforced last winter when this unit was brought into action when my #1 generator had a malfunction in the midst of a week long power outage during a really bad power-pole snapping ice storm. It got old really fast hefting full Jerry cans up to trailer height and holding in place to refuel the tank everyday.

So the search was on this summer for an all aluminum fuel tank! While cruising through Craig's List I found a used aluminum 50 gallon Dura Craft "reefer tank" for $60. It had quite a bit of road grime and the cradle brackets and straps were badly rusted. But I figured for $60 it was worth a shot at repurposing this old semitrailer tank. Before I agreed to make the drive to buy it I had the seller check that it was good on the inside and did not have any baffles. If it had baffles it would make it pretty much impossible to pressure wash the inside. The seller said it was shiny new looking inside and had no baffles inside.

So I made the hour drive to pick it up and it checked out, so I brought it home and began work on it. As I power washed it big flakes of rust came off the brackets and straps. I power washed the tank inside and out. The outside road grime, comprised of old sticky diesel and road tar, was impossible to get off. So I took an angle grinder with flap wheel to outside knowing I was going to paint it so swirl marks were not an issue. I used OSPHO acid treatment on the steel brackets and bands to treat the remaining surface rust. I then primed the tank, brackets, bands with two coats of primer sanding between each coat. I put two final coats of Rapco 383 Green on it and installed new rubber on bands and brackets. I purchased all the necessary fittings, hose and a desiccant breather for the vent. After rotating brackets 180 degrees from the original "hanging position", it mounted on the trailer deck nicely leaving lots of breathing room for airflow into genset cooling intake. I now have approximately 170 hours of runtime fuel onboard (including genset day tank).

A couple of nice features with this tank is it has a 2nd draw tube (I plugged it closed) that could be used as return line if using as a "primary tank" along with a fuel gauge and a nice drain sump to collect water and sediment. Anyway, just wanted to let others know that these aluminum Dura Craft reefer tanks make excellent aux tanks for trailers or possibly other applications.

View attachment 701984 View attachment 701985 View attachment 701986
Can you send or post a couple of pics I really wanna copier design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bones1

Where could I get one of those jacks, do you know?. I have a mep-003A with ASK on the trailer and have to use my tractor to lift it up.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

Where could I get one of those jacks, do you know?. I have a mep-003A with ASK on the trailer and have to use my tractor to lift it up.
I would suggest you to PM "CUCVFAN" to see if he has any more of the trailer jack legs left (reference post # 17 above). Otherwise, I would try to obtain the part number (M116A3 trailer TM?) and do an online search. I would also post a parts wanted in the classifieds here on SS.

Guyfang

Staff member
The "new" jack you pictured in post #18 is:
2590-01-388-0958 Part number 12436705
Figure 17, Item 10

Crank handle, (no, they normally came separate) is:
5340-01-386-3974 Part number 12441073
Figure 17, item 7
TM 9-2330-202-13&P

There is a chain and clip that also come separately. I would make my own. But if you just have to have the army stuff, look in the TM.

Chainbreaker

Exact dimensions, located under 50 gallon "design print" are found here an pg 2 of engineering dwg:

http://www.americanmobilepower.com/files/pdf/drawings/AR2250.pdf

Fixed broken url link (404 error) for above referenced dimensioned dwg. "design print"

I googled "reefer tank" and got several hits. If anyone were to find a used tank without brackets & straps... do not despair, they sell the brackets and straps individually:

https://www.4statetrucks.com/fuel-t...m-reefer-tank-60-gallon-reefer-tank_29531.asp
Fixed link.

John Galt II

I have a new auxiliary tank that was included with my 802a. Apparently it was intended for a 5 ton tractor according the NSN. Anybody know how to identify the connectors on the tank. The docs I did find about the tank did not show any exploded diagram or provide a clue as to which is the vent, or the line out or gauge(?). Please see attached photos. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

Chainbreaker

I have a new auxiliary tank that was included with my 802a. Apparently it was intended for a 5 ton tractor according the NSN. Anybody know how to identify the connectors on the tank. The docs I did find about the tank did not show any exploded diagram or provide a clue as to which is the vent, or the line out or gauge(?). Please see attached photos. Thanks for any help.
That might be a tank that has a fuel pump or fuel level sender inside. You could remove the screws on the round cover pull up the cover & internal fittings and investigate. If it was designed to be used as a "main primary tank" it would have a fuel return line fitting as well.

John Galt II

That might be a tank that has a fuel pump or fuel level sender inside. You could remove the screws on the round cover pull up the cover & internal fittings and investigate. If it was designed to be used as a "main primary tank" it would have a fuel return line fitting as well.
Hmm, good idea. That brings up another question. If one is for a return line, should it just be capped or does the 802a have an auxiliary fuel return line option? I haven't heard of one but thought I would ask. I'll try to dig into it this weekend.
Thanks Chainbreaker!

Chainbreaker

...That brings up another question. If one is for a return line, should it just be capped or does the 802a have an auxiliary fuel return line option? I haven't heard of one but thought I would ask. I'll try to dig into it this weekend.
Depends how you plan to use this tank. Are you going to use it as a true "aux tank" or as a "primary external tank" to bypass using the integrated main tank in your 802a?

External Main Tank: Some people that have had the "leaking well nut issue" have gone to just using a larger external main tank. That does away with having to make the repair via the difficult to access main tank. If rigged that way, usually no need for an added aux tank since the capacity is typically increased by using a larger external primary tank. If you were to do that, you would need to extend & run a fuel return line into the external primary tank.

External Aux Tank: If using this as an auxiliary tank then no return line required in it as it will only draw fuel from the external tank on demand via a draw tube installed in external tank. Then any excess fuel from injection pump will return to main tank as it normally does. If the tank you have has a return fuel line fitting you could cap it off or possibly install a desiccant filter using that tank fitting, however if it has other vents you would have to seal them up to force air to be filtered through the desiccant filter only.

Last edited:

John Galt II

Depends how you plan to use this tank. Are you going to use it as a true "aux tank" or as a "primary external tank" to bypass using the integrated main tank in your 802a?

Some people that have had the "leaking well nut issue" have gone to just using a larger external main tank. That does away with having to make the repair via the difficult to access main tank. If rigged that way, usually no need for an added aux tank since the capacity is typically increased by using a larger external primary tank. If you were to do that, you would need to extend & run a fuel return line into the external primary tank.

If using this as an auxiliary tank then no return line required in it as it will only draw fuel from the external tank on demand via a draw tube installed in external tank. Then any excess fuel from injection pump will return to main tank as it normally does. If the tank you have has a return fuel line fitting you could cap it off or possibly install a desiccant filter using that tank fitting, however if it has other vents you would have to seal them up to force air to be filtered through the desiccant filter only.
Excellent! Those are all great ideas. I'll update the post after I open up the tank via the covers mentioned earlier. We'll have to see what lurks below...
Thanks again!

Guyfang

Staff member
FABRICATION METHODWELDED
WIDTH31 INCHES NOMINAL
OUTSIDE DIAMETER4 31/100 INCHES NOMINAL
LENGTH81 1/4 INCHES NOMINAL
SELF-SEALING FEATURENOT INCLUDED
DRAIN PLUGINCLUDED
MOUNTING BRACKETNOT PROVIDED
FILLER CAPINCLUDED
OPENING QUANTITY1
CAPACITY55 GALLON, US MEASURE
BAFFLEPROVIDED
MOUNTING POSITIONVERTICALLY ACROSS WIDTH
FILLER NECKINCLUDED
DISTANCE FROM FILLER NECK END TO TANK BODY0 469/1000 INCHES NOMINAL
CAP TYPE FOR WHICH FILLER OPENING IS DESIGNEDOUTSIDE CAM
OPENING CONNECTION METHODPLAIN FACE FLANGE
OPENING CONNECTION SIZE1-9/16 IN. DIA
DRAIN OPENINGINCLUDED
LIQUID QUANTITY TRANSMITTERINCLUDED
HEIGHT17 INCHES NOMINAL
MATERIALSTEEL
QUANTITY2
SHAPERECTANGULAR

Tech data for the tank. Cost new, 2,400 bucks. take some better pictures of the tank. I might be able to tell you something about it. It has a E-pump in it, and a fuel level sending unit, they are to be seen in the picture.

John Galt II

The tank in the photos was attached to the trailer (behind the generator) when I purchased it. I have since removed it to better inspect and drain the approx quart and a half of water from it. I intend on improving the method of attachment to the trailer (PU-797) also.
I've attached some photos as requested. Sorry if they are not rotated properly. I have discovered there is no pump, just a pick up tube. Also a vent and a fuel gauge sending unit.
Here's are 3 questions-
1. What type of desiccant filter is recommended and where can it be purchased?
2. Would this set up allow an exterior fuel gauge to be installed just above or near the tank without electricity to it (preferably)?
3. Most importantly, where on earth can I find a replacement copper drain gasket for this thing?:unsure:

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
The tank in the photos was attached to the trailer (behind the generator) when I purchased it. I have since removed it to better inspect and drain the approx quart and a half of water from it. I intend on improving the method of attachment to the trailer (PU-797) also. ( I am having some difficulty with PU-797 and a fuel tank. As far as I know, there is no Pu-797 with a fuel tank. I looked at TM 9-6115-659-13&P, which covers the PU-797 and PU-797A. No such animal. So its maybe a hack job from another owner? Or its something special, made for a one of a kind use, in the military? Or maybe my TM is out dated? You are sure its a PU-797? There should be 3 different data plates on a PU set. One is on the gen set. Another is on the tongue of the trailer. That would be for the Trailer chassis. The third should be on a fender. Looks like this.
1602170989755.png
Is that what you are seeing?)

I've attached some photos as requested. Sorry if they are not rotated properly. I have discovered there is no pump, just a pick up tube. Also a vent and a fuel gauge sending unit.
Here's are 3 questions-
2. Would this set up allow an exterior fuel gauge to be installed just above or near the tank without electricity to it (preferably)? ( I have seen a setup, not a PU-797, that had the option to hook up a fuel level sender and gauge, for an external fuel tank, for a PU set, but it had to have electricity. There are gauges, that do not require electricity, but the gauge screws into the tank, and a float moves mechanically the arm in the gauge. Look at a fuel level gauge from a MEP-002A or MEP-003A.)
3. Most importantly, where on earth can I find a replacement copper drain gasket for this thing?:unsure:
( Might be able to help, when I knew just what the PU set really is. You dont have any pictures of the PU set with the tank on it?)

John Galt II

The tank in the photos was attached to the trailer (behind the generator) when I purchased it. I have since removed it to better inspect and drain the approx quart and a half of water from it. I intend on improving the method of attachment to the trailer (PU-797) also. ( I am having some difficulty with PU-797 and a fuel tank. As far as I know, there is no Pu-797 with a fuel tank. I looked at TM 9-6115-659-13&P, which covers the PU-797 and PU-797A. No such animal. So its maybe a hack job from another owner? Or its something special, made for a one of a kind use, in the military? Or maybe my TM is out dated? You are sure its a PU-797? There should be 3 different data plates on a PU set. One is on the gen set. Another is on the tongue of the trailer. That would be for the Trailer chassis. The third should be on a fender. Looks like this.
View attachment 814371
Is that what you are seeing?)

Here's are 3 questions-
2. Would this set up allow an exterior fuel gauge to be installed just above or near the tank without electricity to it (preferably)? ( I have seen a setup, not a PU-797, that had the option to hook up a fuel level sender and gauge, for an external fuel tank, for a PU set, but it had to have electricity. There are gauges, that do not require electricity, but the gauge screws into the tank, and a float moves mechanically the arm in the gauge. Look at a fuel level gauge from a MEP-002A or MEP-003A.)
( Might be able to help, when I knew just what the PU set really is. You dont have any pictures of the PU set with the tank on it?)
The tank was installed by previous owner but never hooked up. It does seem like it would be very out of balance when tank is full (additional 412 lbs) on tail end. Does it appear to you the gen was moved forward on the trailer possibly acting as a counter weight? Accessory box is in the front but not shown. See photo. I'll confirm 106" from tongue to COG later today. I'm really starting to think it should become a DETATCHED auxiliary tank instead. Safer.
By the way, the tank was originally intended for a 5 ton tractor. NSN 2910-00-410-5766. Any help on locating a copper drain gasket would be very helpful.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks