• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator - Can you Identify?

ke5eua

As stated above, all the controls are inside the shelter. Batteries and fuel tank are on the trailer (or, if the shelter was mounted in a Humvee, it would tap both from the vehicle).

From what I have reviewed in the manuals, the head is the MEP-802A. The LPW2 engine appears to be the same as that called the DN2M by the military, and that is what powers the MEP-802A generator.

Educate me, please - if this is the engine that powers the MEP-802A and it is attached to a MEP-802A generator head, why would we not call the complete unit MEP-802A?

It appears that most everything I need to maintain this generator is in the MEP-802A manuals and TM-9-2815-252-24, which covers the engine.

Cheers
It is a speciality built generator set. While the engine and head may be the same the use isn't. The generator is designed to power only the shelter, and not have a breakout for l0-l3.

Someone else will chime in that is more versed in the generator world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
Well, yes and no. Like I said before, it appears to be a LPW2 engine. I say appears, as, until you look real close, you are simply not 100% sure. It appears to be the Main Generator from the 802A, but until you look, and the main gen will have a data plate, (just like in post #11) on it, you are not sure. But an MEP-802A is a complete generator set. Box and all. Look at the cover of TM 9-6115-641-24. That gen set on the cover is a MEP-802A or a MEP-812A. Your generator is made up of, or appears to be made up of, components from a MEP-802A, but I saw a world of difference on your gen sets pictures. The peripherals, are not the same. Some of those parts will not be found in any manual covering the MEP-802A. There has to be a data plate somewhere on the engine also. That will clear up if you can use TM 9-2815-252- 24 and -24P. But don't be surprised if it has some different plumbing. And the controls inside the container, are probably not going to be the same as the MEP-802A. The schematic will be different. The troubleshooting diagram will be different.

As I was writing this, Ke5eua beat me to the punch, but he has it right. Just said it in less words then I did.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
OK. I spoke with someone who is in the know. I have posted part of his answer to my query, below. With comments from me in yellow.

Guy:

From what you say it sounds like the 5KW APU that went in something called a SICPS S-787 shelter TM 10-5411-222-14 Jul 94. ( I looked it up in liberated TM's and the shelter looks the same.) No gen parts listed in there. It has a 5 KW Lister Petter DN2M 0.9 liter engine and yes the 252 manual will work and they even have parts at ONAN Cummins. Main Gen is the same and I believe even the regulator works. Radiator is almost the same. That’s about all that is similar. K2 and main Contactor are in different places and control panel is not even close to what you are used to seeing. K-Town LMS at the 405th LSE West (a unit here in germany) had these and they went to DRMO. Another from EAS ( a unit here in germany) equipment as they cleaned out EAS at Graf. This was about 6 months ago.

It will use about 25 liters a day for emergency power at full load. Change the oil once a week if it runs that long at a stretch and it should last a long time. Filters are easy and cheap. If they are there, use the switches, but if not, one toggle for battery power to the solenoid(24VDC but they make 12V versions) and one to engage the starter (they have 12 V versions) and flash the field, your cooking.

I cut some other parts out, as I don't think you want to hear how this gen set could be set up for operation to power a house.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All very interesting, thank you all for the input. [thumbzup]

As mentioned before, the shelter is a mystery unit with absolutely no identifying data plates on it, and no sign that it ever had any. One of very few S-787/8s I have seen with none.

It only stands to reason though, as the trailer I got the shelter for has exactly zero data plates, with no sign of ever having any! The only clues to it's parentage are the tiny cage codes stamped on most of its components (for Laguna Industries in NM, now defunct, so no help from them).

Since the control panel was part of the discussion, I have included a picture of it. It includes the controls for the two heater/ac units (ECUs), which did NOT come with it, unfortunately.
I'm not sure if it was someone's idea of demil, or what, but each of the gauges has the glass carefully smashed... :roll:
The panel is the one part that does have a plate identifying its origin, RDA Logicon of Tacoma. I will try contacting them to see if they can provide any wiring diagrams or such.

Once again, you lot are great!

Cheers

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks