• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Friction Noise

Edis06

So I traced my tight, vibrating, friction noise down to my generator. It's the 60A version for my 6.2. Sounds like a bearing is starting to go bad - it's very loud ("friction" noise) that disappears when the engine is slightly revved.

Should I buy an upgraded 200A, and if so, it is simply plug n' play? Or, should I just stick with OEM. Right now I have a massive sound system in there running off of two Orion 70A converters and the truck runs like new with no issues on the existing generator. I am planning on adding a RED DOT A/C system so if the 200A is a prerequisite then I'd be a good idea to add it now.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
for the red dot you want at least the 100 amp, so going to the 200 amp would be a pretty good idea.

If you weren't doing the red dot, then getting your current gen rebuilt shouldn't be that hard or expensive. Heck, even if you do upgrade it's not a bad idea to get the 60 amp rebuilt as an emergency spare or for sale.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Here's a thought... Might want to check if one of the mounting ears has broken. Usually the lower front one.

Just saying, CAMO

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a bearing was going, typically the sound would get LOUDER when you rev the engine. I think Cam is bang on. Check mounting brackets and see if the alternator is firmly anchored at front AND back.

Edis06

I agree with you Tobash, I'll take Camo's advice and check it out. I know I removed the belts and spun the pully and it spun freely and smoothly. I started the engine and it was quiet with no belts, but that was before I suspected the generator. What suggests both of you are correct is the fact that it only makes noise under tension.

Thanks all for your advice. I'll report back with what I find.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks