• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator install & fix up thread

spotrep

Gentlemen!

First, the good:

got my 803 semi installed. My current setup is temporary until I get my 12’x20’ shed built, at which point I will move my generator in there.

I went with @kloppk ‘s remote start and Generac board. Installation was easy and he was quick to respond when I needed help.

I'm using a 200amp Generac ATS.

Now for the bad (and where ya’ll can help me):
Generator starts perfectly from ATS commanded start, runs flawlessly for about 5 minutes but then shuts down unexpectedly.

When using Kurt’s controller board I am instructed to keep S1 in OFF position. If the generator experienced a low oil, overheat, or overcurrent fault, the indicator light wouldn’t appear, correct?

second, my machine has developed a coolant leak. I’ll dig into it more deeply this weekend but wanted to make record of it here.

PS. I know my install blows @kaletheriot ’s out of the water!! Joking, but don’t worry about the OSB beneath my generator, it’s temporary! I’m planning on getting some concrete blocks to put underneath this weekend while I get my shed finished

CFDE88CB-7335-4465-992B-6AA33A28E256.jpeg88F71EFD-B3FB-4EA4-9A7C-9DBC219615C7.jpegFF18B549-0F73-42D5-BCB4-2915FCA33A1F.jpeg

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you perform the Calibration process with the Remote Start speciffically for oil pressure?

What is your normal oil pressure when the set is warmed up?

If the remote start thinks the set has low oil pressure it will cause the genset to shut down.

Is your oil pressure rock steady or is there a slight twitch of the needle? Problems with the OP sender can cause a twitchy needle and that kind of shutdown.

spotrep

Did you perform the Calibration process with the Remote Start speciffically for oil pressure?

What is your normal oil pressure when the set is warmed up?

If the remote start thinks the set has low oil pressure it will cause the genset to shut down.

Is your oil pressure rock steady or is there a slight twitch of the needle? Problems with the OP sender can cause a twitchy needle and that kind of shutdown.
I haven’t yet. I’m confident that’s my problem though. I was unaware of that function of the control card. I’ll calibrate and report back

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How many hours on the set, and is it a reset or original? Might just need a new belt... might need to loosen and retighten the alternator to retension. To me... belt dressing only works for a little while. The belts are cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225710795992

Just take a look at the belt alignment between all of the pulleys... make sure they are level. I have seen sets where (for no good reason) an extra thin washer is behind the alternator, making the belt not be in the same plane over all pulleys.

spotrep

How many hours on the set, and is it a reset or original? Might just need a new belt... might need to loosen and retighten the alternator to retension. To me... belt dressing only works for a little while. The belts are cheap: https://www.ebay.com/itm/225710795992

Just take a look at the belt alignment between all of the pulleys... make sure they are level. I have seen sets where (for no good reason) an extra thin washer is behind the alternator, making the belt not be in the same plane over all pulleys.
its a reset with 1400 hours.

I went ahead and bought 2 replacement belts already. Belt only is noisy on startup, I’m guessing that’s when there is most draw on alternator causing the old belt to slip. I’ll closely examine the belt and look at any alignment issues too. But I figured it won’t hurt to replace it and I want a spare on hand as well.

spotrep

I replaced the belt, belt looked to be in decent shape. Tightened belt and noise has gone away. I purchased 2 belts, so I have a new replacement on hand, and in a pinch I have the old still if I ever needed it.

Additionally I went through and tightened hose clamps on the lower radiator hoses. Best I can tell it was leaking from both engine side and radiator side of the lower hose. I lost a significant amount of coolant to it. I will refill today and ensure leaks have ceased.

happy new year gentlemen! I know I am praying for easy times ahead for all of our families

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks