• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator intermittently overcharging

panshark

looks a lot better than mine! I like how you used that small piece to move the bracket out a bit to give clearance for the radiator hose. If I were to copy your design, I might spraypaint the sides thattouch each other bright orange, so that I could find them in the dark when I dropped them during an alternator removal. Looks awesome!

jerseyjeep2003

Thanx Pan, it worked out pretty good. I just used the original design as a starting point and basically made the pivot point farther from the block to allow the mount on the alternator to clear everything. The alternator is pretty close to the fuel filter housing bracket, but it's not a big deal to relocate it a little farther back on the frame...whenever I feel ambitious. I wasn't sure about belt length with all of the variables involved, but at the end of the day I still use the same 47" belts.

jerseyjeep2003

OK, just checked my voltage at the batteries at idle....27.5 consistent, gauge reads right at the top of the green. Looks good to me...problem solved, the electrical gremlin is gone. Thanx for the help guys.

panshark

A lot of guys use the delco 21si that Spydermarine.com sells, it's probably chinese, but it's not as finicky as the older/heavier leese-nevilles. Bonus on that model is that there is a post that you can draw 1/2 of regulated power from. I.e, 12 volts. Be advised, that alternatolr is shorter, and therefor not plug-and-play on the old bracket.

ChuckM

I'm looking at the info at spidermarine and the delco 21si pulley shaft diameter is .875". My prestolite 5104ut shaft measures .675". So is this a misprint at spidermarine or is a new pulley needed also for the conversion?

panshark

new pulley is needed. search the site for spidermarine and 21si, other members have contributed the necessary part # for the pulley. I think you'll need 8mm allen wrench, 15/16 combo wrench to install the pulley yourself.

Dieselking22

I believe i drilled my original pulley out to be 7/8" It fit on the alternator like a glove,

The problem with my overcharging was resistance in the wire so the alternator was thinking the battery was very low on charge and needed all the charge it could get from the alt.

jerseyjeep2003

Pan, you are spot on with the numbers. I got my alternator from Torodyne. His web site is Torodyne his name is Jason. Tell him what you have and he can set it up with a pulley installed. They are great guys over there. But, I just checked Spidermarine, and they have him beat on the price. Guess it pays to shop around..lol.

Willy, due to changes in my work schedule, I wouldn't be able to make one for at least 3-4 weeks. After that I could work something out with you.

panshark

there's other guys on here that make modern alternator brackets for the duece, you'll just have to search for it though. Wolverine technologies comes to mind, not sure why. Jersey jeep's is a pretty dang slick bracket, looks better than mine! His design won't allow you to add on an extra 12v alternator like some of the other brackets will. I personally like Jersey's design.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks