• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator issues

M-1028

Trucks been running great for 6 months, noticed early on the voltage gauge reads a little high when the truck is running, just past the green indicator. So, I checked the voltage and was within spec, figured the gauge was off.
Last night my head lights decided to quit working and the gauge was higher than normal, pegged out. All 6 of my Truck lite LED lights would not work, all on different circuits. I turn the acc. switch off and they all work fine.

Does the acc. switch turn the generator off in the off position? My only though is too much voltage for the lights and they are shutting off.

The generator need to be replaced or is this something external?

I have not checked voltage yet due to poor weather, just hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

R Racing

I believe your on the right track . From what I remember of my A2 the generator stops charging when the switch is off. Sounds like a bad regulator or you batteries could be low in acid/ water. a good test would be unhook your charging lead then tape it up and see if your lights work when the engine is running.

M-1028

I believe your on the right track . From what I remember of my A2 the generator stops charging when the switch is off. Sounds like a bad regulator or you batteries could be low in acid/ water. a good test would be unhook your charging lead then tape it up and see if your lights work when the engine is running.
Good call, I'll check the batteries and pull the charging lead.
The regulator external on these trucks?

M-1028

Yes, the generator exciter is turned off with the accessory switch. You may want to see if you can adjust the output, there is an adjustment pot under a hex plug toward to rear end of the generator. If this doesn't work, you may need a new voltage regulator. This is one place you can find one: http://eriksmilitarysurplus.com/reasforam60a.html Good luck!
Awesome, didn't know there was an adjustment. Thank you sir.

Bill W

Do you have a generator or the 60amp "Alternator" on your deuce??? I'll go with that you have the alternator, as mentioned there is an adjustment under the small bolt next to the wires in back of alt ( see pic's )

Attachments

M-1028

Thanks for the tips, grounds should be good, but I'll check. Which direction will decrease volts? Clockwise, counter?

Jeepsinker

If I remember correctly counter clockwise decreases voltage. Hook up a good multimeter to the batteries and watch it as you adjust with the engine running. I say check your grounds because my battery to frame copper ring terminal just broke off recently with no prior signs of distress other than some random high voltage spikes. Replaced the ground cable and battery to starter cable and I'm all good to go now.
Edit: when it broke off I couldn't get the truck to start so I hooked up the slave cable and cranked it, unplugged the slave cable and the volt gauge pegged. Then I pulled the battery box out and found the ground cable broken off at the frame.

Last edited:

M-1028

I'm guessing my truck has a generator, it doesn't have the regulator on the back, it's got a metal fan. I have pics if needed.

Static battery voltage is 26.35, which seems high, water level is about an inch from the fill. Voltage while running is 29.4 at the battery and out of the generator. All grounds are clean and secure. Truck starts perfect.

Any ideas?

Jeepsinker

29.4 volts is fine. I've been running mine ( intentionally) right at 29.8-30 volts for a year now and the batteries are fine, so are all the electronics. You won start burning things up until you get up around 32-34 volts. Factory charging setting is already up at 28.6 volts so you aren't far out of spec.

Jeepsinker

Very unlikely you have a generator. The alternators say " generator" on the data plate but they aren't. They have a metal fan either mounted front, or more commonly with the prestolite type, in the center of the case.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks