• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Libby MEP-003A

1961matts

It starts and runs if you leave the switch on the start position once you let go it dies on the run position there's no voltage to the fuel solenoid on the run side. So I'm thinking it's a sensor. What I can see is a low fuel sensor oil pressure sensor and temperature sensor where can I find out how to test each sensor and where can I buy
And you if you think I need to check other things please let me know.

Scoobyshep

003 s have 2 sensors that will stop the engine. Oil pressure and temperature. You can jump tb5-8 to tb5-9 to test this (make sure you actually have oil pressure, less you want to get a new engine)

Oil pressure switch is next to the filter

Temprature sensor is behind the louvers (exhaust side) on the block by cylinder 3

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Chainbreaker

Yep, Oil Pressure sensor/switch is more likely the culprit as opposed to the temperature switch. Using LITD's above test if it proves to be true you can find the part number in the TM's (Found under the TM heading at top of screen op above /\. You want the TM that ends in "-24P" (P=Parts).

To save you some digging its listed as item #15 on "printed page #157 & listed as" Switch Pressure" . NSN (National Stock Number) is 5930-01-039-3140 ) Switch, Pressure M-1423-14 and 309-0177 as listed in my hard copy manual dated 31 Aug 1996.

I once found the generic equivalent part (don't recall the PSI range spec'd) at various lawn mower shops online. Or your local automotive parts house "might" stock equivalent ones.

1961matts

Thanks everyone it was the oil sensor. It starts and runs really well no smoke and sounds good, than after about 6 to 8 minutes it starts to smoke and then it kinda like starts to miss and smoke really bad then it slowly dies

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a new to you machine? Have you seen it run properly before this? Are your batteries topped off? Have you changed out the water seperator and fuel filters, and cleaned the bottoms of the fuel pumps out? Do you have (2) original primary pumps, plus (1) aux pump still in place?

Chainbreaker

...It starts and runs really well no smoke and sounds good, than after about 6 to 8 minutes it starts to smoke and then it kinda like starts to miss and smoke really bad then it slowly dies
In addition to what LITD asks, you also want to check the easy stuff that can cause the engine to struggle:

1. Have you checked the Air Cleaner Element Condition, reasonably clean filter? Is there a RED signal showing on AC housing mounted Indicator?
2. What position is the Air Filter Canister shutter slider set at: Summer or Winter?
3. So far, you're just running it without any electrical load, correct? Main AC output breaker off position?

Ray70

slowly beginning to mis and then slowly die after a few minutes sounds like a fuel supply problem.
Do as the others have suggested by cleaning the fuel system.
In addition to cleaning the bottoms of the pumps and screens, listen to the pumps while they are powered on.
They should both click about once every 1/2 second. Rapid clicking means either a check valve is stuck open or they aren't getting a supply of fuel to the pump. Extremely slow or no clicking means either a stuck pump plunger or a check valve stuck closed.
If you have a pump problem you can either remove, disassemble and clean or you can try removing the lines, fill them with acetone and let them sit a day or 2 then retry.

Chainbreaker

slowly beginning to mis and then slowly die after a few minutes sounds like a fuel supply problem.
Do as the others have suggested by cleaning the fuel system.
In addition to cleaning the bottoms of the pumps and screens, listen to the pumps while they are powered on.
They should both click about once every 1/2 second. Rapid clicking means either a check valve is stuck open or they aren't getting a supply of fuel to the pump. Extremely slow or no clicking means either a stuck pump plunger or a check valve stuck closed.
If you have a pump problem you can either remove, disassemble and clean or you can try removing the lines, fill them with acetone and let them sit a day or 2 then retry.
Though if it "starts to smoke really bad" just before shutting down as he indicates, wouldn't that seem contrary to lack of fuel? Perhaps he has some injector issues or injection pump issues?

1961matts

Yes it's definitely a fuel problem The pumps are original and the water separator was clean they put on a new filter . I just bought this never been around one before. The cartridge filter had a lot of water in it so I drained it and it started up I thought everything was fine no smoke ran good sounded good and then it slowly died again after 30 minutes of runtime no load. I drain the filter again and no water came out. So I need to get the filter and I am going to take those fuel pumps apart and make sure they're good and I believe it will do the trick.

Is there a place I can get a parts list?

I would like to buy a service manual and a parts manual for this machine?

Thanks everybody for the help!!

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have you made sure there is no 'trash' in the tank which could be restricting flow? How about the lines from the tank all the way to the injection pump... how do they look? Any crushed, distorted, or otherwise not OK looking?

How about the air filter... what state is that in?

1961matts

Have you made sure there is no 'trash' in the tank which could be restricting flow? How about the lines from the tank all the way to the injection pump... how do they look? Any crushed, distorted, or otherwise not OK looking?

How about the air filter... what state is that in?
I've got good pressure at the filter when I turn the switch on. Air filter is good.

1961matts

Is this a new to you machine? Have you seen it run properly before this? Are your batteries topped off? Have you changed out the water seperator and fuel filters, and cleaned the bottoms of the fuel pumps out? Do you have (2) original primary pumps, plus (1) aux pump still in place?
I have the original pumps someone just put a new separator but I guess I need to replace it again along with the other filter and clean the pumps out.

1961matts

Yep, Oil Pressure sensor/switch is more likely the culprit as opposed to the temperature switch. Using LITD's above test if it proves to be true you can find the part number in the TM's (Found under the TM heading at top of screen op above /\. You want the TM that ends in "-24P" (P=Parts).

To save you some digging its listed as item #15 on "printed page #157 & listed as" Switch Pressure" . NSN (National Stock Number) is 5930-01-039-3140 ) Switch, Pressure M-1423-14 and 309-0177 as listed in my hard copy manual dated 31 Aug 1996.

I once found the generic equivalent part (don't recall the PSI range spec'd) at various lawn mower shops online. Or your local automotive parts house "might" stock equivalent ones.
What do you mean by TM's

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks