• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator lights

MTN UAV

Is anyone signed on right now that knows is the generator lights on the M1009 are supposed to be on all the time? I heard they are on because the batteries are charging? Actually the Gen2 light seems to stay on more than the Gen1 light, but they do rotate back and forth. Don't get me wrong, they will go off...for awhile, then back on they come. Please advise.

MTN UAV

ABN173

PM Westech or Doghead they will probably know more than I do, as I am still learning myself.
But having gotten that out of the way sounds like you have a #2 alternator issue it may need a replacement. Mine does that just after start but goes away shortly after warm-up or if I rev it up some.

papercu

From TM 9-2320-289-10
1. GEN 1 and GEN 2 Lights. On all models except the M1010 Ambulance, generator lights
come on when ignition key is in the “ON” position, but before engine is started. After engine
starts, lights should go out and remain out. If either or both lights remain on after engine
starts, press accelerator and let engine return to idle. If lights remain on or come on during
operation of truck, IMMEDIATELY SHUT DOWN ENGINE and notify your supervisor. M1010
Ambulance has no generator warning lights.
Wayne

MTN UAV

Thanks ABN173.....I will have it checked out. The guy I bought it from told me that he was told they are on to show they are charging...hmmmmmmm. I guess they have been like like for awhile then. I'll have it checked out. Thanx again.

MTN UAV

papercu

My supervisor is the wife, don't know your arrangements.
Have you checked the belts? Any alternator shop can check the alternators out. Wayne

MTN UAV

I haven't done anything yet papercu....I just bought it last week. I've just been having fun driving it! I did put in a quart of oil though :-D I will take your advise though and have it checked out by my mechanic. Thanx again. How do you post pics on this site....I can barely navigate on it! Rick

papercu

It is under the reply box, attach files, click on "Manage Attachments" a new box will pop up, with a "choose" then "upload" Wayne

MTN UAV

Hey Wayne, what's with the military ranking under our user names..........I'm a "private"....is that because I am new to the site? I see you are a four star general!

ABN173

It's a rank structure based on post count, there is a couple of threads about it. Browse around the site and use the search feature, there is a wealth of information on this site!

devousivac

Gen Lights on after start

Is anyone signed on right now that knows is the generator lights on the M1009 are supposed to be on all the time? I heard they are on because the batteries are charging? Actually the Gen2 light seems to stay on more than the Gen1 light, but they do rotate back and forth. Don't get me wrong, they will go off...for awhile, then back on they come. Please advise.

MTN UAV
Hey MTN - let me know what you find out. I just got an M1009 a week ago and while it seems to run like a top, the Gen 1 lights flicker at low speeds and is on at idle, however off at higher speeds. The guy I bought mine from said exactly what the guy you got yours from - and what they both said does not fit with TM 9-2320-289-10. However, nothing seems to be the matter with anything under the hood. I just have a red flashy light on the dash.

MTN UAV

ABN173 my username stands for: MOUNTAIN URBAN ASSAULT VEHICLE. I am not in the Army, I was in the Marines. Sorry for the confusion. It is my license plate.....I live in the mountains of Lake Arrowhead.

Rick

ABN173

No worries, you never know without asking. Being in the UAV field it never occurred to me that it stood for anything else besides Unmanned Aerial Vehicle. I was with the 173rd ABN as a infantryman when we jumped into Northern Iraq in 2003 so I picked "ABN173"

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The gen light flickering at idle is not uncommon. Sometimes a simple belt adjustment does wonders. The 6.2 engines are not that belt friendly. I only use the top of the line Goodyear Gatorbacks.

Crash_AF

The light flickering means that the alternator is putting out just enough to keep the light from tripping. My lights on my 1009 stay on immediately after startup until I rev the engine. They stay off from then on.

As was stated, check your belt tension. Some belt 'flap' while idling is ok, but if it's excessive, try tightening them a little more.

What is the voltmeter doing while the lights are on? Is it solidly in the green or is it closer to the yellow?

If you can get a digital volt meter/multimeter, check the voltage at the batteries with it idling while the light is flickering. You'll probably find that it's somewhere in the mid 13V range.

The light staying on means there's a problem with the alternator, not that the alternator is working. The problem could be as small as the voltage sensing wire on the back of the alternator is not making a good connection to as large as the alternator has failed.

Later,
Joe