• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator lights

MTN UAV

Ok, the gen lights stay on most of the time when I am driving. As I stated before, they will go off after a time of driving, but will come back on. I should say that the gen2 light is on more than not. I heard fronm the guy that I bought it from that it was a charging deal....he had the vehicle for three years and his friend owned it before him, so I don't think it's an alternator problem or it would have went out by now??? Maybe it is just a belt issue. I will have it checked out. Thank you all for your imput and help.

MTN UAV

Crash_AF

Yes, Kragen carries the Gatorback belts... I only have the part number for the Passenger's side alternator, but they should be able to cross reference the other two from the Gates numbers.

Goodyear "Gatorback" - 15485 fits the passenger side alternator on the 6.2
Gates - Driver's side Alt, 7575 Pass side Alt, 7483 Power Steering, 7448

Later,
Joe

devousivac

Flickering Cause Solved - belt was about to break - now it done broke

I figured out why the light was flickering.

I got the truck 2 weeks ago and the previous owner said it flickered to indicate that it was working - obviously not the case. It was flickering because the belt was about to bust and now it did. I stopped by a NAPA auto parts store but I'm fairly certain they sold me the wrong belt.... anyone know which TM I should be looking at for how I go about this? Any possible damage I may have caused by driving without the driver's side alternator belt on for about 7 miles?

ABN173

If you have what is left of the old belt take it in to the shop and have them match the belt right there at the counter, in my case there was enough left of the part number stamped on the belt for them to cross reference. I bet Westech or Doghead probably have a long list acceptable part numbers (those guys are great) Anyway good luck.

-Dale

Crash_AF

My previous post in this thread (6 posts up) has the part numbers listed. Any good shop should be able to cross the Gates numbers.

Here they are again...
Goodyear "Gatorback" - 15485 fits the passenger side alternator on the 6.2
Gates -
Driver's side Alt, 7575
Pass side Alt, 7483
Power Steering, 7448

Later,
Joe

MTN UAV

ok guys what the heck am I doing wrong! I am not a "motorhead" for sure but I am quickly learning on my M1009! Ok...today I flushed my radiator and I was told that the radiator takes 24 quarts of fluid......12 anti-freeze (3 gal) and 12 water (3 gal). So I buy 3 gal each....after I flush it out and everything is (supposedly) drained...I close up the pet-cock and start to fill it up. Well, I got in 1 gal of anti-freeze and 1 gal of water.....it is full and will not take anymore! What gives??????

MTN UAV

Ken_86gt

This is not in the Tm, when changing the coolant I like to flush strait water through it. I leave the drain open, put a hose in the top of the radiator and run the engine. Water will come out all over. After a couple of minutes shut the motor off, stop the hose, and let it drain. Close the drain, and add the coolant first because you usually can't drain the entire system. then top the system off with water. This way you will always have enough antifreeze in the system.

MTN UAV

and thanks Ken_86gt. I did flush it thathe way you recommeded. I was told that by the guy at the auto parts store. If I would have just added the a/f first though...I would have gotten 2 gallons of a/f in and no water......I guess there remains 4 gallons in the block?

MTN UAVl

Crash_AF

Yea, that's the problem... the radiator only holds a portion of the total coolant. The block will have about 2.5 gal in it and the heater core/piping will have about a gallon.

Later,
Joe