• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Models list?

cbvet

Does anyone know of a specification list for the various models of military generators?
MEP-02,13, etc mean nothing to me.
I want to know things like:
KW output at single and/or three phase?
Fuel required?
Fuel use per hour?
1800 Rpm or 3600 rpm?
Weight of complete unit?

THANKS,
Eric

Ken_86gt

I don't know of a list. I will help a little, there could have been 50+ models made in the last 50 years.
Some of the diesel Gens:
MEP-002 5KW 1 or 3 phase
MEP-003 10KW 1 or 3 phase
MEP-004 15KW 3 phase 1800RPM
MEP 005 30KW 3 phase 1800RPM
MEP-006 60KW 3 phase 1800RPM
MEP-007 100KW 3 phase 1800RPM

For the specs such as weight and fuel usage rate you could download the TMs or search the web - there are many different configurations that will affect the weight.

oldMan99

If you go to www.jatonkam35s.com there is a page for MEP003 and on that page is a sheet with all of the specifications for the MEP series of generators

RL
I may be blind but I could not find that page... Any chance you can link us link finding challenged people to the page??

---

So far what I have been able to determine it looks like anything over 10kw is going to be 3 phase. Is that pretty accurate?

LanceRobson

So far what I have been able to determine it looks like anything over 10kw is going to be 3 phase. Is that pretty accurate?[/QUOTE said:
Correct. Anything 15 kW and larger is three phase only unless it's a 1950s or earlier set.

A Google or similar search of the full MEP # (ex: MEP-003A)will usually give you the basic info for the unit. The units listed as producing both 120/240V single and 208V three phase have an interconnection switch to change which windings are being tapped. The generator must be shut down to switch voltages. A unit that produces multiple voltages and phases produces the same power at all settings. For example a MEP-003A will produce 10 kW regardless of whether the unit is tapped for single or three phase.

Some units are rated at a power factor of 1.0 and some at 0.8 PF etc. A PF of 0.8 means that you cannot use more than 80% of the rated output continuously. A PF of 1.0 would allow you to use full rated power all the time.

Unless you are looking at 1950s vintage units anything over 10 kW is going to be diesel and anything less than that could be either diesel or gas depending on the model.

Units that are run for extended periods while loaded at only a small fraction of their rated output tend to have a lot more electrical issues than units run a 60% or more of the rated loads. We used to have a lot of problems with MEP-002A and 003A sets in the field when they were only running a few lights or hand tools so we started carrying several electric heaters to add some load and most of our electrical problems stopped.

Also, three phase units don't like being tapped on just two legs to produce 240V. They will have problems too.

Also, if you go to tpub.com they have the TMs for most sets online and the tabulated data will give either the fuel consumption rate or list the fuel capacity and run time.

Lance

Last edited:

3dAngus

I can't believe my eyes. All this data and not one mention of the deliverable current per leg for each voltage selection. You especially need it when going to multiphase, or dual voltages with or without multiphase. That really sucks.

What are earth were these guys thinking when they developed the format for these spec comparisons.

You would never see something like that written today. (I think) LOL

Good grief, it's after 3am and I'm still reading tech pubs. I'm hooked!!!!!!

LuckyDog

Here is a link I stumbled across that I thought was pretty good.
Generators

Explains load sharing also.

As to what they were thinking when they wrote these manuals.... I work for the guberment now. Most of the engineers that write these things have NEVER been in the service or even had to repair anything at home.

As to "You would never see something like that written today." You're right, it has gotten worse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks