• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator removal question

skhutson

Do I have to remove the whole front fender to get my generator out? Even with the panel above the fender removed,I can't access the two inner nuts on the bottom mounting bolts. Can't get to them underneath either because of the shield/splash guard. Am I missing something simple? One would think for service in the field, they would have made these items simple to get at, or folks had little tiny hands back in the 50's.

skhutson

Yeah it looks heavy. Got the test adapters today, thanks again. I'm going to run a test on the genny tonight and keep my fingers crossed. I pulled the voltage regulator yesterday and cleaned the contact points and ground cables. After pulling the cover off the VR, it smelled like it had been smoked but put it back on and re polarized the generator, and still no charge. THE CIRCUIT BREAKER POINTS ON THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR don't even close.

skhutson

Generator putting out 0.00 on the multimeter. Guess its toast. Looks like I'll be having that rebuilt plus a new solid state voltage regulator $$$$. I would like to talk to the previous owner and find out what he did to kill the charging system on this truck. He told me when I purchased it that it was in good working order after the restoration but had quit charging one day while he was driving it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the filter capacitor at the bottom of the regulator, maybe it has no continuity. They are old.

just me

You have the adapter. Full field the generator and see if it doesn't come to life. Follow the procedure in the TM.
Then check the brushes. The genny is pretty bulletproof.

skhutson

You have the adapter. Full field the generator and see if it doesn't come to life. Follow the procedure in the TM.
Then check the brushes. The genny is pretty bulletproof.
?? Full fielding? I did polarize the generator per the TM and nothing. I didn't see anything "full field'. Is this the same thing.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's very durable as stated and basic, open it up to see the brushes and inspect, they are likely the cause, if not just keep looking, a problem with them is often easily seen .

just me

Edit.
I need to check the manual to see if it is A circuit or B circuit to tell you how to full field.

Last edited:

skhutson

I didn't want to start a whole new thread so here we go. I pulled the gauge cluster today and noticed that my instrument cluster circuit breaker is not hooked up but all of the gauges and panel lights work. So could this be the reason behind my charging system issues?

skhutson

Ok thanks. I'm just sorting out any possible electrical issues while waiting for my generator rebuild. I get a small spark when attaching the negative cable to the battery and thought it could be something behind the instrument panel.

just me

With the light switch off, and the ignition switch off there shouldn't be any current flow. The cutout relay should be open in the regulator when the engine isn't running thereby isolating that circuit.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Most times after taking the generator off and it gets kicked, dropped, pushed around shop when it worked before but now it doesn't, the brushes pick up dirt, rust, oil, grit from wear and tear. The brushes get glazed and the commutator can not make contact, or the grooves need cleaning, the brushes are gone, or the armature windings ground out.

Another critical system that is greatly misunderstood and taken for granted. The voltage regulators and generators are heavy duty purpose systems. I like to work on and rebuild generators because it is a lost skill.

My Pop owned a generator shop from 58' to'75'. Generators-power steering pump combo's, battery rebuilds=DANGEROUS, starters, alternators.

OutpostM37

24 volt generator brush (1).jpg24 volt generator tag (1).jpg
The wires to my brushes were severely frayed. While the geny is out of the vehicle, it is a good time to replace them. Watch your back lifting that monster in and out of the vehicle!

skhutson

Just talked to the fella from the electric shop today and he showed me what happened. Somehow there was to much end play in the armature shaft. the part where the brushes ride on (commutator) rubbed into the back cover and shorted out. you can see the burn marks on the inside of the cover. He is going to tear it down and see what he can do.

Last edited:

TGP (IL)

If it helps him, there are NOS Military rebuild kits available to you
From the usual vendors.
Pick one up and forward to him.
Unless of course he has everything.
Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks