• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

generator removal

m35a

Hello to all,

I am new to the site, but not to mechanics. I recently bought a deuce, it will not charge the batteries though. I have done some trouble shooting, and lots of reading about this alternator/generator set up. It boils down to wanting to remove the generator to go and have it tested. The problem I'm have is I cannot remove a cable from the generator, it appears that if I want to remove my generator, I need to either cut the cable and splice it back in, or remove everthing else the cable is attached to to keep it with the generator. Does anybody know of this issue and have a solution? Thanks for the time in advance

steelandcanvas

I am assuming you are speaking of a Deuce, because of your screen name. On the later generators, there is a cover on the top that must be removed and the wires are attached underneath. Earlier units have a plug to disconnect. You should not have to cut anything to remove either one. Have you downloaded any TM's yet? They are available under the Technical Manuals banner, top of the page.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please try to post in the appropriate forum.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removal should be covered in the -20 TM.

m35a

my apologies for the posting in the wrong place....I did download a bunch of TMs, it takes forever to search through them, I was just throwing this out trying to get a quick answer. I know the cover your talking about, I did pull that cover and there was alot of sealant, I assume to keep the wires from corroding. So your saying I need to remove all that sealant and disconnect the wires? The TMs I was looking through stated that I need to desolder the wires to remove them, dose this sound right? By the way, where is the proper place to list a posting of this type doghead?

212sparky

my apologies for the posting in the wrong place....I did download a bunch of TMs, it takes forever to search through them, I was just throwing this out trying to get a quick answer. I know the cover your talking about, I did pull that cover and there was alot of sealant, I assume to keep the wires from corroding. So your saying I need to remove all that sealant and disconnect the wires? The TMs I was looking through stated that I need to desolder the wires to remove them, dose this sound right? By the way, where is the proper place to list a posting of this type doghead?
What model of truck do you have? Also post up a picture, we like pictures, then we can tell what king of generator / alternator you have.

steelandcanvas

I know the cover your talking about, I did pull that cover and there was a lot of sealant, I assume to keep the wires from corroding. So your saying I need to remove all that sealant and disconnect the wires? The TMs I was looking through stated that I need to desolder the wires to remove them, does this sound right?
The last Deuce alternator I removed had terminals, I removed the nuts and took the wires off. If yours are a soldered connection, yes, you will have to desolder them. The Leece-Neville brand alternator has their own TM, I'll search around and see if I can find it.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I moved your thread into the correct forum.

mike101

my generator spiked and I searched around to buy a used one and couldn't bring myself to buy a used one for $300. brought it to a friend of a friend that rebuilds them and he said why not buy a modern 24v alternator so we found one with the same shaft diameter as the stock one so the pulley will fit and I had to fab a bracket to mount it in the stock location and I ended up spending under 200 for something brand new with a warrenty and more amperage too.

MG2936

When my generator died, I replaced it with a 24 volt alternator from Wolverine Technologies LLC. 24 volt, 70 amps, all brackets and pulley, and weighs 20 lbs. less the original generator. The M-35 generator will charge while under water, the alternator will stop charging when submerged but within a few seconds of being out of the water it will start charging again. A nice set up if you are willing to stray away from original equipment.

212sparky

I just installed the TMamerica bracket and alternator set up. It is a nice setup. Direct bolt in bracket. I did use a long bolt for the hinge instead of 2 separate bolts. Well worth the money. About the same as a good take out used alternator.

Last edited by a moderator:

m35a

I will post a pic later, but its a 1991 Kaiser M35A2, atleast thats what the title says...I think it was refurbed in 1991, not sure if thats the actual year of manufacture

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They stopped making M35A2Cs for the Air Force in 1989. The M35A3 reburb/update program was underway and finished around 1993. The M35A3 program is where they would take 2 or 3 A2s, strip them down and rebuild one truck with new/serviced components. Also a new CAT engine, auto tranny and dual circuit brakes.

All that being said, your truck most likely is not a 1991.

Last edited:

m35a

I understand what you are saying, but as I stated, my truck was refurbed in 1991 meaning it is older than 1991. The title I have states that its a 1991 (I know civ titles may not be 100% accurate), I do not have a dataplate in the cab that tells make/year, just MWO tags that have "91" stamped into them. I need to decode the truck, my guess is it was manufactured in the 70's. Pic and info soon to follow

m35a

No, the truck is not an A3 variant, its an A2. I did not remove the generator yet, I installed a new parking brake cable and springs on the parking brake. I bought a fluke meter that measures current by placing a wire in between two prongs on the meter. Whats odd is the only amperage that read on the meter was on the ground wire from the generator, I am assuming that the generator is grounding out somehow, more to follow. It also only read 7 amps on that ground wire. I had read somewhere that sometimes those generator sets ups will not produce any current at idle (that dosen't make sense to me) anyway, so I set a high idle and took measurments, but didn't notice any differance in the readings. I suppose I will remove the generator this weekend if I get some time. I also have a pic, I just need to figure out how to upload it for your viewing.