• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator replacement help

mrsuperstition

Hey guys today when I went to start my Deuces the 72' m109 had some issue. Each truck has always started "instantly" from the slightest touch of the button - no cranking time really, until today. After few seconds of cranking I could smell burning belts.

The motor seemed to be "HELD BACK" by something.

Turns out that the generator is seized up The belt that wraps around it was burning up as it tried to spin it.

My question is -
Is changing the generator as straight forward as it seems ?
So far the forward bolt is the only thing I see being a pain to reach.
Any helpful tips or hints to make it go smoothly would be Greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time for any input [thumbzup]
Chris

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it a generator or alternator? I had the generator on mine sieze and I'm switching to a 70A alternator. This bypasses the regulator as the alt is internally regulated, but I also needed to buy the 60 Amp Conversion Kit since I'm going from generator to alternator.

Big weight savings and allows a lil better access to the primary fuel filter. The alt will also work at idle and the orginal generator needed to have some rpm's before it kicked out any power.

Cost savings is huge too, as the prices I saw for gens was around $450.00

mrsuperstition

Is it a generator or alternator? I had the generator on mine sieze and I'm switching to a 70A alternator. This bypasses the regulator as the alt is internally regulated, but I also needed to buy the 60 Amp Conversion Kit since I'm going from generator to alternator.

Cost savings is huge too, as the prices I saw for gens was around $450.00
what was the total $ for the alt / 60 amp conversion all together for you ?

mrsuperstition

After looking into it I decided to do the 24 volt alternator swap and add a 12 Volt Add-on alternator. Did you use the company in your post - Wolverine Tech - for your part? are they reliable ? I like the warranty they offer...
thanks Chris
:driver:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks