• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Size

superman4283

Thanks I'm still still learning.
I thought I'd need a 15kw but ya'll have me investigating the 803 a little harder. I definitely need to get someone to help me check my amps.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you cant check the real time use, can you get the info off the data plates of the various pieces of equipment? We can deduce amps from volts and watts, for conversation purposes. Much of the info you need someone should be able to find on the units.

superman4283

I ordered a clamp on multimeter. While I'm waiting on it could you guys give me your thoughts on the mep-004a linked below? I haven't talked to the person about it so everything I know is in the video and pics.

I'm still learning so if it's junk be gentle.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks to be in good shape, but I stilll don't think this is the best solution for you.

Scoobyshep

Its missing the l1 lug (not horrible) and it looks like the radiator louvers are pinned open. also not too horrible. other than that looks like its in pretty good shape, this may be a bit overkill though.

superman4283

Its missing the l1 lug (not horrible) and it looks like the radiator louvers are pinned open. also not too horrible. other than that looks like its in pretty good shape, this may be a bit overkill though.
I didn't notice the l1 lug. I thought I'd notice something that obvious.

They live several hours away so i'm not really wanting to go look at it if a 803 is a better fit. Every other generator in my area is 3 phase or 5kw.

Scoobyshep

I didn't notice the l1 lug. I thought I'd notice something that obvious.

They live several hours away so i'm not really wanting to go look at it if a 803 is a better fit. Every other generator in my area is 3 phase or 5kw.
the 004 can be modified to single phase, so l1 missing can be worked around.

Guyfang

Staff member
I spotted everything Scooby did, and will add, that the person operating the gen set is another of the "I don't need to read the book" people. Once the hertz is set to 60 hertz's, you leave it there, unless you need to bump it up or down a freq or two. NEVER idle this set. Then he let it run at 57 hertz. Little things like that tell me that he may not have treated this set right.

No, its no big deal that he has the loover pinned open, but again, when you have a problem, you fix it. He hasn't. The same for the missing L1. And the cable that should go to L1. If he didnt tell you about this stuff, then what else did it have wrong with it. And no, if the L1 is missing, its not three phase.

For the price he wants, I don't think so. I love the 004A and 005A. But I would have to look long and hard at it before I bought it. Remember, the set is 30 years old.

Just my 2 cents.

superman4283

I spotted everything Scooby did, and will add, that the person operating the gen set is another of the "I don't need to read the book" people. Once the hertz is set to 60 hertz's, you leave it there, unless you need to bump it up or down a freq or two. NEVER idle this set. Then he let it run at 57 hertz. Little things like that tell me that he may not have treated this set right.

No, its no big deal that he has the loover pinned open, but again, when you have a problem, you fix it. He hasn't. The same for the missing L1. And the cable that should go to L1. If he didnt tell you about this stuff, then what else did it have wrong with it. And no, if the L1 is missing, its not three phase.

For the price he wants, I don't think so. I love the 004A and 005A. But I would have to look long and hard at it before I bought it. Remember, the set is 30 years old.

Just my 2 cents.
I haven't talked to him. His daughter but the ad up for him so there's very little info. with it. I like to ask a lot of questions (I'm sure you'll have noticed). I'd have a long Q & A before I looked at it.

I had no clue if tthe price was reasonable that's why I asked ya'll.

Guyfang

Staff member
The film clip was very short, never really showed anything of worth. And a load test is needed, to prove that it works. And not just for 60 seconds.

The outside of the set looked good. The hour meter is always a problem for me. Having replaced lots of them over the years, you just never know if its right.

If you go to look at this set, be sure to take someone who knows what to look for. A Technical Inspection, (TI) is a must. A good TI will spot small things that might have to be dealt with at a later date. Case being, the loovers being pinned open. The set runs, so what? Well, the 004A and 005A love two things. First, running at rated RPM and close to rated load, (prevents wet stacking). Second running at rated temperature. With the loovers pinned open, that will not happen. That will cause wet stacking, among other problems.

Anything can be fixed. But at what cost? And some parts are harder to find now days.

After looking at the clip some more, I also noticed that not only L1 is missing, but the wire from the L1 to the CB2 is missing. And it looks like the wire from the input to CB2 is missing, since I cant see it going through the Current Transformer. Perhaps this set has already been changed to single phase? Dont know. But it sure wont provide 3 phase.

superman4283

I got my multimeter and finally get got some readings to share. I'm getting about 11.5kw without running washer & dryer, dishwashers, and oven. If I drop the water heater I get about 7.2kw. So I guess as ya'll suggested a 803 would probably do it. My question is would it handle the initial in rush? I know everything doesn't start at once but there are some high starting amps on essentially devices. I'll link my findings.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If any machine can, its a diesel like this. With that said, you may want to consider a soft start accessory for the higher drawing items like the ACs, because you are definitely in the range with the running amperage.

Not all things will be on simultaneously, and probably knowing you are on backup power you could determine what really needed to be running (like killing the ACs for a half hour while you cook dinner, if need be). You know?

superman4283

I also have a gas stove. I thought I mentioned that earlier but if I didn't i'm sorry. I mainly checked it out of curiosity.

The AC and well pump will never be turned off. Those are necessities because of my disability.

So a soft start would be a must on the ac units?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks