• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator spare parts list? 802/3

Bmxenbrett

Looking at making a spare parts box for my mep802. What are common failure items?
Fan belt and spare fuses come to mind. Spare fluids and filters is something i always have on hand.

Bmxenbrett

I know the return lines are a problem but are the water pump and starter a common failure? Also what about the voltage regulator and control board relays? Those will take at least a week to get incase of a failure.
Guyfang is there normal problems with these becids the return lines?

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Fix your generator to the best working shape you can.

Exercise your generator for a hour or more with load.

Keep batteries charged.

Have the steel soldiers forum ready for parts and pieces.

jamawieb

I know the return lines are a problem but are the water pump and starter a common failure? Also what about the voltage regulator and control board relays? Those will take at least a week to get incase of a failure.
Guyfang is there normal problems with these becids the return lines?
Water pumps usually last 2,000-3,000 hours; starters don't commonly go bad but if either go down, your machine is dead.

Guyfang

Staff member
Once the return lines have been replaced, they last a long time. Even then, at most, they leak a bit. That's enough warning to get them replaced. Not so much a worry. I would have at least one plug in relay. And the switch, (the one that LOOKS like the relays). I am a hoarder. I would have lots of things squirreled away. But probably never use in 1000 years. If you're S1 switch and S6 switch are the Mark 3 type switch, and you have the Quad circuit fuse installed, you have covered a lot of ground. The S1 was a big problem. New switch, you never need to worry again. Lake Jamawieb say, water pumps and starters are normally long life. A volt reg? Well, I know I would have one, extra, but it's not like they go bad once a year. They are in principle and practice, long life also. What we need to hear from, is people who run these things ALL THE TIME. Like for work. I don't think I would have many, if any, engine parts. If you change your filters and oil in a timely manner, change your antifreeze also, the engine will last a long, long time. Mike's post says it all. If you have some gold dust saved up, buy what ever you can afford. But I don't think you need to have enough parts to build a new set. Oh, I would have a mag pickup also. Yeah, that part has also a long life, but if it gets loose, or someone incorrectly installs it, you are dead in the water. I believe in todays world, you don't even have to get an army mag pickup. There are generic ones on the market. As long as it fits the hole, you should be able to use it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Just have 2 gens. I have the relay box that has load connections and cables going to your 2 gens. You can toggle between gens for maintenance purposes.

Bmxenbrett

Thanks for the info guys. I have a 215hr set that i keep up on maintenance, former diesel mechanic. The fuel lines was the first thing i did, also have 20ft of the stuff laying around. I had a diode go bad on one other set but now have 9 spares.
So its really just return lines, s1 and s6 switch?
I believe i have gen 2 on the master s1 switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks