• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator suggestion

Guyfang

Staff member
That's it!!!!!!!!! Brings back so many memories. Spent many a night asleep on top of one of those babys, just to be close in case there was a problem. Warm too.

gstirling

Steel Soldiers Supporter
one other thing to consider is fuel use vs. load vs. time to carry load. as stated above you have to consider what load you want, and then what average load you will feed for how long. 1 hr, 12 hrs, 1 day, 1 wk. so how much fuel do you need on hand. for long outages you can assume you will shut it down for some periods of time to extent fuel etc... so what is your need, short bad weather power outage usually restored in 4 or 6 hrs. hurricane - might be out for a week. bigger units have greater fuel consumption even at light loads. The 803 10 kw units are probably a good unit for most homes for most needs and just about all the homes loads (strip heat, large A/C units, hot water, dryer, hot tub (ha ha) range are the possible loads you might have to be very careful with).

Guyfang

Staff member
Its cold, right now -4 cel. Snow on the ground, but not lots. Had some sun, I almost turned to dust. Been working at my sons house for several weeks. Cant beat free labor. This is not how I thought retirement would be. Am on my second beer, and there may be another in the near future. Whats up with you?

kavesman1

If you need a larger genset than what the 803A can output, then I'd look at the DRASH gensets.

They range from 20kw to about 50kw. The one's with the 4 cylinder Isuzu engine are almost always the 20kw one. And everyone I've looked into have 12 wire genheads.

They're configured for 120/208v 3 phase. But i did confirm that the heads can be rewired from 120v only or 120/240v single phase.

cheepsk8

Thanks all for the replies. I don't need to run everything at once in the house. Just the heat, fridge, freezer, and a couple lights or tv.

As far as cost for the furnace vs propane, it's not much different. Natural gas is a lot cheaper though. It's just the install is a bit cheaper.

cheepsk8

As far as expected run time, I'm not guessing more than 72 hrs. So stuff like the water heater, stove, and furnace could be used one at a time.

jaxbill

Its 20kw.
That's rough. I don't think there's any single phase MEP solution for your needs. I imagine you would end up paying more for a generator large enough to run that heating system than you would adding an non-electric heat source.

Otherwise, a 30kW unit from Hardy Diesel or Aurora would probably work for you.

I know there are larger MEP units out there but they're 3 phase and even using 2/3rds of the capacity to run 1ph 208V (even if your loads supported it) probably won't be practical.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever considered a supplemental heat source for this property (like a wood stove)? That would allow you to not have to run all of your heating elements (or almost none if you size the stove right), and put you well back into MEP territory?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for this very informative video 155! Except now, I will be on the lookout for one of these 3PH generators! Good stuff.
there are many 005's out there, you probably wont have to look very far. Many are upgrading to the 8xx series, they are out there.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am glad I don't have high power requirements. The 005 uses 2.6gph (which really isnt that bad in the grand scheme)... but thats a LOT of fuel to keep on hand for true long term power concerns.

Edit: Actually I think that was liquid cooled, if I take the time now. I think the 005 is closer to 3gph at full burn?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I remember that thread. Everyone has different needs, which makes this so much fun. I personally have structured my life so we require little power (or much less than many folks), because I do have long term concerns about the infrastructure of this country failing (either by space weather, lack of update, accident, targeted sabotage, etc).