• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator to Alternator conversion?

Bill W

Mark
When I installed my 60amp alt on my 37 ( along with a nos frt harness) all I did was run the pos cable on the alt to the battery side of the starter relay, then ran the ground from the alt to the block. I ran the small (12ga) exciter line off the alt to the on/off switch on the dash, that was it The pully off your 30amp generator will fit on the alt and the alt will bolt right up to the old gen bracket. I did not use the mil gen to alt conversion kit ( sells on e-bay for around $30 ) but for a mear .50cents
I ran a 12ga line from the battery side of the starter to the power side of the on/off switch and I was good to go.
Regards
Bill Wincapaw

P.S. I recently got a used (tested) alt from Parramore in N.Fla for $120.00 shipped

Mark_Ellis

Thanks for the reply Bill and good to hear from you. I have been to and fro in the last year or so since I got out of the Marines. Moved to MD and back again and now looking for a job...... sorta nerve wracking. lol.
Don't you have to do something with the wires that come off of the regulator going under the dash? Or is that the one wire going to the ON-OFF switch?

Thanks,
Mark

Bill W

My 37 had the 100amp system that was burned to a crisp, so I ripped it all out and bought a nos harness and the alt and installed it as described above. I'm sure all you need to do is disconnect the old charging system ( gen/reg ) and do what I did or go buy the conversion kit and tie into the exsisting system.. though I never had a problem with my way.
I feel for you with the job search, there's alot for sale signs going up around here by me., My brother-in-law just got laid off after 14yrs with the same company, keep the faith you'll find something and most likely be something you never thought/considered.
Stay in touch

acetomatoco

I have the 25 amp generator to 60 amp alternator kits with instructions (no alternator included) for $25 delivered in CONUS. Discounts on quantities. rampartsllc@aol.com PS This kit also fits several other early M series trucks.

Mark_Ellis

Bill,
I got a used Alternator from Paramore in FL for 130.00 shipped. Got the adapter Kit for 25.00 and it works good. I just wanted to keep the mod as origianl as I could so opted for the kit, as you say not really necessary. Some of it you don't use and the cable is awfully long and had to be doubled up and zip tied in the engine compartment but every thing works good and looks right, if the alternator goes and a generator happens by... I can just put it back in without having modified anything. (made sense to me)
Only thing I noticed is that the alternator makes a slight whirring sound and it seems to choke the engine down a little at idle. Quick fix is that I pulled the throttle cable out two clicks and no more problem but need to adjust the idle speed I guess.

Paramore got it here real quick so that was a good thing.

Mark

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have made 2 conversions to alternators. I used the 100 amp 24 volt Delco alternator. Fabricated the 1st bracket then bought a universal for the 2nd. I used the M35 generator pulley. Bored it just a tad to fit the Delco shaft and put a spacer behind the pulley. Other wise the fan will hit the shaft. No special wiring hook up. Put gen wire to the hot lead on the alternator and used the same ground wire. Makes a one wire system. Takes about 3 hours and works like a charm. And you can find parts for the Delco anywhere.

Barrman

Use an air impact to remove the pulley nut, a gear puller to pull the pulley (If you need to change pulleys like I did.) and the alternator will bolt right into the brackets. That wire harness from ACE makes it real easy too. I did my Gasser in about an hour.