• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator Virgin Needs Help

cldh35611

I did do a search before i posted and i did not find much info!

I bought a libby 5 kw on 12-19-08 and I don't even know how to start it! I should get it home for about $600 and it has a trailer so I thought I would take a chance. That seemed like a good deal?? I looked at it and I think it is complete except batteries. Are these good units? Can I find parts and where? What is the start procedure. Is there some special maintenance or something i should do before trying to start it? I think it has about 800 hours on it! I am planning on leaving it on the trailer and using it for back up power.

Thanks for your help,

Darrell

Attachments

m38inmaine

The manual for it should be here in the resource section, should make a nice genset and you did well on the price.

Stonepicker1

To be more correct, you have a Power Unit, PU-751/M, NSN: 6115-00-033-1373, TM: 5-6115-631-14&P.
This consist of One MEP-002A- 5kw generator, 60hz. TM 5-6115-584-12, TM 5-6115-584-34, TM 5-6115-584-24P and TM 5-6115-584-12-HR.
One 3/4 ton trailer, M116A1, TM 9-2330-202-14&P

AN/ARC186

(I am planning on leaving it on the trailer and using it for back up power.

Thanks for your help,

Darrell[/quote]

If you are going to use it for backup power please make sure to connect it in accordance with the National Electric Code and local applicable codes. I cannot stress this enough. As an electrical inspector it's amazing how many generators I find that are back feeding the grid.This is an EXTREME hazard to line crews working to restore power.Remember, transformers work both ways!
And once power is restored, 200amps surging into the generator isn't going to do it a whole lot of good either.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks