• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genset Buyers Guide

Tin Medic

Is there a buyers guide or reference for buying military generators? I would like to educate myself before buying a couple. I did a search but didnt find what I was looking for.

Isaac-1

There are a few attempts out there to write such things, some better than others, but none that I would call good.

One is called something like practical backup using MEP generators and is a pdf from a canadian web site, we also have wiki's here on individual popular models, there are a few articles written online from off grid and prepper points of view on using MEP generators. Most of the best advice can be found by reading the messages on the boards here though. If you can tell us about your needs we may be able to suggest which models you may wish to consider, there are only a handful of models that are appropriate for most people looking for general emergency backup.

Tin Medic

I want one for camping and one for general emergency backup. I dont want it so big that it requires its own trailer. Dont know if its better to have one powered by gas or diesel.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MEP-016 might be a good fit for you then. 3kw diesel

Small enough to take camping.

Isaac-1

All of the military gasoline generators are 1960's designs and gas guzzlers, the most portable common model is the MEP-016D which is rated at 3KW (that is military 24x7 rating, more like 3.6 or 4KW civilian commercial rating) and is powered by a 3600 rpm modern Yanmar L70 diesel 1 cylinder. These are a life extension repowered update of the old gasoline MEP-016C and weigh in about 280 pounds dry. Up from there slightly would be the other diesel powered MEP-016 family also rated at 3KW, but with slightly larger / heavier engines, etc. Then the 5KW MEP-002a which at 960 pounds is a lot less portable, but fits in the back of most pick up trucks with ease so I am including it, these weigh so much more because they are real work horses powered by 1800 rpm 2 cylinder Onan diesels.

Ratch

There's also the MEP-017a, which is a 5kw gasoline. I don't know what kind of loads you're planning, but unless you're running massive lights and electric cooking, I can't believe you'd need more than a 3kw. I'm guessing weight and space are a premium also, so a small 3kw would be better.

For camping, gas-driven is probably a better type to pursue because they can be very easily adapted to run on propane or natural gas, propane already being prolific and easy to transport in the camping world. They're also easier to quiet (commercial ones, at least).

If you don't bring propane, you'll have to bring a fuel supply anyway, in which case, diesel will be more efficient.

None are quiet, though. Unless you're camping out in the wilderness alone, any mil-surp genset is going to really annoy other campers.

steelypip

If you're serious about wanting a generator for camping, you really want a current-technology inverter generator. They're so much quieter and burn so much less fuel than anything Uncle Sugar has yet surplused.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks