• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genset engine on a GoKart or Lawn tractor?

Ratch

Just for pure speculation...

How do you folks think a MEP-802a Lister motor would work on a lawn tractor (water cooled)?
How about a MEP-002a motor (air cooled)?

My particular tractor has a hydrostatic tranny, so a steady RPM engine is all I need. Well, since this is just speculation, assume it's going into a tractor that does not use a varying engine speed. 1800 RPM might be just fine, I don't mind if the tires chirp...

Any reason this would not work, or things that need to be thought of?

Then, how about on a go kart? Obviously the engine's are a bit heavy, and water cooled on a kart starts moving it to race-car category, but if geared for speed from a 2000rpm rev limit, are these motors responsive enough for gunning the throttle, etc?

Ratch

I had a milsurp gasoline powered compressor a while back with a 4a032 that I was very tempted to move to my childhood go kart frame for my sons. Now I have a MEP-018a that I'm thinking I might cannibalize for it's motor. I don't know what motor it is or what the weight is, but I'm toying with the thought...
That 4a032 was a mean-sounding engine... :)

PeterD

Most lawn tractors with hydrostatic drives run between 3000 and 3600 RPM. Fixed RPMs are great, my tractor basically has three speeds: 0 RPM, 3000-3600 RPM (fixed, somewhere in that range) and choke! I'd go for the water cooled version myself, sounds like a fun project.

Ray70

Sounds like you've got 2 projects ahead of you! Stick the MEP-002a motor on your tractor and put either of the gas motors on the go-kart frame.
Are your sons old enough to help with the build? It would be great to get them involved!
Unfortunately my son is a bit too you still, but I'm looking forward to the day when we can start building stuff like that together.

dependable

I had a milsurp gasoline powered compressor a while back with a 4a032 that I was very tempted to move to my childhood go kart frame for my sons. Now I have a MEP-018a that I'm thinking I might cannibalize for it's motor. I don't know what motor it is or what the weight is, but I'm toying with the thought...
That 4a032 was a mean-sounding engine... :)
The 018 has a 4A084 motor. Probably one of the louder, heavier and thirstier ways to get 20HP.

The gas motors would have better throttle response than the diesels for go cart. But a hydrostatic go cart would be cool.

Please post pictures if you go for it.

Keith_J

The 002a diesel engine would be fine for a hydrostatic drive, most need 1500 to 2000 RPM, it can be governed for that and in direct drive. Most hydrostatics use a speed reduction pulley system off the engines that normally run 3400-3600 RPM.

You can get surplus hydrostatic transmissions from Surplus Center online.

Ratch

I remember my 32 sounding like a monster. I don't remember what the mep-018a gasser sounds like. 20hp would be PLENTY for a go kart... Maybe a little too much.
This was just for curiousity and bouncing ideas around. We're probably not anywhere near doing this.
My son's are 14 and 6, both of them would love to get their knuckles bruised on a project like this. :)

jhooah

I'll sit corrected

I read somewhere the 4A032 puts out about 10 real HP, and the aviator crowd can't use it for aircraft as it just won't get "enough" to make it worth the effort. So it's rated at 20, but in practical standpoint (for their aviation purposes) it's a 10. There is a site on Yahoo dedicated to modding them though.
I wanted to try to use one for an old Toro dead diesel swing tail mower replacement engine to mow the grass, but I have too many projects already.
V/R W Winget

Well then according to the below post/ link it CAN reach flight and up to 30HP, but I do know I readon theYahoo site it was not worth it, so without digging there are counter arguments for it's use in aircraft. Thanks for the link, glad to see it might be more useful than I've seen/read. WAW

Last edited:

ducer

I always wanted a diesel powered gocart but I think the governer issue would be tough to resolve. The torque it would have would be a lot more fun. Gas however would still be a lot of fun.

Denny

Ratch

I was thinking of taking the low-hour Yanmar off a 3kw genset I had a few months ago and slapping it on my log splitter in place of the gas engine. That was an awesome little engine, I kinda regret selling it. I'd buy another if I found one cheap.