• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genset Thankyou

kgblazerfive

Hi
First post
I recently bought a MEP004 paid $1200 out the door bought it sight unseen. Having bought two other smaller generators so I figured what the heck. Went to pick it up and had a no A/C tag so dang I thought. Figured I had bought a nice running diesel engine.

So had an electrician come out and look at it he could figure nothing out. It didn't work thought it might be the exciter.

Got doing some searching found that you guys have a section dedicated to these thing, here all i thought you guys did was 2 1/2 ton stuff.

But alas found some good info, keep the start switch on start till it starts working and wala it works [thumbzup].

So many thanks, now if i can convert it to run my house i will be good to go. :lol:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Glad you found what you needed! Welcome to the site. Usually you join for one thing and end up with 10,000 accessories. I see a 6x6 in your future. roflrofl

PeterD

As a fellow MEP-004 owner, all I can say is "Win, win, win."

Great price for the unit, and that it works is fantastic. In addition to this wonderful site, there is smokstak.com which has a military generator forum as well. Most of us here, are there too.

kgblazerfive

I have a very built Suburban think it might be big enough:lol: but a deuce may be in my future.

Saw the smokestack place going to do some looking there too

kgblazerfive

I also have a wheeled 5k diesel that i got from gov lq that I need to get some more info on has an electric start and everything works well too.

deuceaid

Banned
yeah, most people dont know that a generator can lose the residual magnetism in the rotor, which it needs to get started generating,,, and how to charge it back up.

PeterD

Isnt the 004a all 3 phase? I presume it doesnt have a 1 phase because I have looked at the dataplates on GL. What am I missing here??
I don't think phases were mentioned in this thread, but yes they are 3-phase. Fully usable for 'single phase' 120/208 service, slightly derated however. As well, some transfer switches (the ones with individual switches for each circuit) can be wired to a three phase generator easily--that's what I did. In my case I used one six circuit and one 10 circuit transfer switch giving me 16 circuits total. The various phases are split between these 16 circuits in as balanced a method as possible (considering that loads come and go as things are switched on and off...)

jbk

bump the voltage up a bit and you will have 220 very useable. i use the 3rd phase for other 120 circuts. welcome another 004 owner.

PeterD

bump the voltage up a bit and you will have 220 very useable. i use the 3rd phase for other 120 circuts. welcome another 004 owner.
That does work, and I know people who do that, the only risk is that you risk over-voltage when large loads switch off before the regulator pulls it back to the setting. For most everything that is not an issue, but for some electronics it might be an issue. (What happens when you drive it to 220, is that the 120 then goes to about 127 to 130, most equipment that is acceptable.) BTW, for computer equipment with switching power supplies that are rated for 110 to 240 volts without switching, it is a non-issue, they are happy with virtually any voltage! However in my case, I'm happy with 208 volts, heaters are not quite as hot, but such is life!

Isaac-1

Someone posted a step by step how to modify the reconnection board, etc in these to single phase a while back. Internally they are 12 lead generators, just the reconnection board and stock instrumentation is not designed for single phase operation.

Ike

PeterD

The only issue with rewiring for single phase is that you don't get full output, in fact it appears you get about the same output you'd get using two of the three phases, so the only advantage is that you have 240 instead of 208. In my case I didn't think the additional volts was going to be that important as compared to doing major rewiring of the output. YMMV however, each case and usage is going to be different.

bimota

Hey, I also just got an MEP-004 that runs great but no power out. Can you clarify "keep the start switch on start till it starts working and wala it works"? My unit starts right up but no power out, can it be that simple? Please advise!

PeterD

As kgblazerfive says, keep on start. Instead of thinking "the motor is running" instead use the volt meter (or frequency meter) as an indication that it is time to release the start switch. It is not intuitive at all, we're trained from day one to always release the start position as soon as the engine is running, and now you have a device that is almost the opposite--you need to keep it in start after the engine is running.

This bit of magic is possible because there is an engine speed switch that disengages the starter as soon as the engine is running, and that allows the regulator to then 'flash' the field to generate power.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks