• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Genset

moosebgy

It is a little overkill for a backup generator but oh well the price was right. But it is missing some component (in the fourth pic) and not sure what it is but I should be able to find out what or if someone here nows what is missing and could clue me in that would be great.

Attachments

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its missing the load connection board to start with and Its way to big for a house standby.Wetslacking will be a real problem if you dont load it enough

HAWKMAN

I just picked up one of these from Picatinny in NJ last week. Nice set-up but BIG and Heavy. Funny thing though mine has a six cylinder engine it looks like yours has a four,(unless I'm not seeing right) I did get a bunch of manuals with it if your looking for any let me know.:grin:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 4 cylinder is probably the MEP-004a (15 KW) and the 6 cylinder is probably the MEP-005a (30 KW). They both look the same but one has a larger motor. Both are way too big for most residential back-up power, and both are strictly 3 phase only in the original configuration. There was a post made by member "Freds" about converting one over. If you search for posts started by freds (advanced search) you will see the post. Another member purchased one from a dealer that had been converted over and seems to work ok, but the capacity of the set will be drastically reduced because of the new configuration. And as skidunits4you mentioned, wetstacking will be a problem, unless you can get it load banked at least once a year and run the snot out of it for a few hours.

moosebgy

Thanks for all the info. I know it's a bit large for a home backup but for the price I just couldn't resist. For $890 from GL in Fairbanks is what I got it for so I can't complain. It may end up at a mining camp some day.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got both 15 and 30 KW units, and are "3-phase capable", and have a selector switch for single phase operation....NO conversion needed.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got both 15 and 30 KW units, and are "3-phase capable", and have a selector switch for single phase operation....NO conversion needed.

I would be very interested to hear and see more about this. The MEP-004 and 005's are 3 phase only according to the TM. They do not have a selector switch, they use a reconnection board for high and low voltage selection. Please post information and pictures.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
yeah, the newer units do, not the MEP-004's and MEP-005's. The OP's unit appears in every respect to be an MEP-004a.

PeterD

yeah, the newer units do, not the MEP-004's and MEP-005's. The OP's unit appears in every respect to be an MEP-004a.
I'd say this is a MEP-004 as well. Clearly a 4 cyl Herc engine.

I do see another problem, he's missing an alternator (the connector for it is hanging down near the injection pump...)

jas67

Tom, I've seen newer units like that. They also switch between 60hz AND 400hz.
You're talking about the AMMPS (Advanced Mobile Medium Power Sources). I actually saw a couple of these go through GL recently. They are stated as being 2004 models. The AMMPS didn't hit production until like 2008 thought, so they may have actually been prototypes.

The AMMPS are inverter generators, which is how they change frequency. They also can vary their speed to match load, so that they are more fuel efficient and quiet. I would love to have a 5KW AMMPS I think it will be 20 years or more before we see any volume of these being surplused. I don't know if I want a 20 year or more old genset with that much electronics on it. I don't think they'll be as robust in their old age as the venerable MEP-002a and MEP-003a that are so loved by members here.

For more information on AMMPS see:
USAASC - Army AL&T Online

An excerpt from the article:
AMMPS Capabilities
The new AMMPS fleet of generators will be smaller and lighter, as well as have markedly increased reliability and maintainability. The AMMPS sets are required to increase the meantime between essential function failure across the generator fleet from 500-600 hours to 750-1,250 hours and decrease the median repair time from 1.5 hours to 30 minutes.
The AMMPS generator sets will be lighter, more fuel efficient, and quieter than their predecessors and will reduce the logistical requirements on the battlefield.
The new generators will also have an increased fuel efficiency between 15-25 percent. “A more fuel-efficient generator means less time and manpower refueling it in addition to the cost savings achieved from requiring less fuel,” Wallace said. He also mentioned that a recent report prepared by the Defense Science Board Task Force on DOD Energy Strategy states that “during wartime, generators become the largest single fuel consumer on the battlefield. During wartime operations, 357 million gallons of fuel per year are consumed by generators, so even a small increase in fuel efficiency can save millions of dollars per year.”
AMMPS will produce generators in five different sizes: 5, 10, 15, 30, and 60 kilowatts (kWs). Each one will operate in the 50-60 hertz (Hz) frequency range, with some models producing 400 Hz frequency to power radar applications. Overall, there will be 51 different configurations of AMMPS generators between skid-mounted and trailer-mounted applications. Trailer-mounted AMMPS configurations will include power units consisting of one generator on a trailer, and power plants that consist of two generators on a single trailer or two individually trailer-mounted generators that can be paralleled together.

Last edited:

HAWKMAN

The 4 cylinder is probably the MEP-004a (15 KW) and the 6 cylinder is probably the MEP-005a (30 KW). They both look the same but one has a larger motor. Both are way too big for most residential back-up power, and both are strictly 3 phase only in the original configuration. There was a post made by member "Freds" about converting one over. If you search for posts started by freds (advanced search) you will see the post. Another member purchased one from a dealer that had been converted over and seems to work ok, but the capacity of the set will be drastically reduced because of the new configuration. And as skidunits4you mentioned, wetstacking will be a problem, unless you can get it load banked at least once a year and run the snot out of it for a few hours.
Mine is single phase as well as three phase....has a switch for either one

skidunits4you

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As has been said the meps 004 and 005 do not have (I have never seen one that did) A selector switch but have a reconnection board 120/208 0r 240/416 both are 3 phase. I use a couple of these to power fire stations that are not 3 phase. Only 240 load in the building is the well pump and it will run on 208 also the load cap is reduced by about 1/3 because of not using the 3rd leg. so the 30 kw is putting out about 20 Kw its not the perfect set up but the town gets the gens for free from FEPP program so you have to make work what you get.The Unit can be taken apart at the 12 leads from the gen and rewired for 120/240 single phase,butfrom what I have researched its a large project and no garrenty it works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks