• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gentlemen I need to vent and some 1028 advice

Ronbo

The past year or so has really been bad, and I try and keep a positive attitude but this week ( today ) got me.. I was working abroad and came home, I had just lost my mom , I got hurt working in the sandpit , lost some vision, lost my job, never received workers comp. Fighting them , lost my Brother to agent O, lost my dog the same day, yesterday had to go out of town I lost my nephew in the marines . came home something killed my chickens .. I've been 12+ months with no income , I refuse to lower myself to food stamps or hand outs.. I was finally able to get on my feet and work ( been paying for surgeries out of pocket and I'm wiped out ) but ready to get on my feet and get work going and my work truck trans went out 1986 -1028 . But I built it . I changed the bad flywheel tooand had the starter rebuilt everything was working fine and NOW the starter is not engaging the flywheel just a grinding noise and no engagement . It was fine last week what the H**L can change ??dang it man !!!! WTF my stress it thru the roof.. I spent $700.00 on credit cards to go out of town to be with family I come home and the freaking truck is a no go.. any advise on the starter would be great....

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take a deep breath and know that we are here to help in any way we can. Don't give up.

I sent you a PM with some info about you starter.

Ronbo

Thanks , That really means a lot .. You guys are Great !! I went for a quick 2 mile run and it helps with the stress. My head's up, and I feel like Rocky " yo Tommy lets have 1 more round " Thanks Wart..

MOAB1008

If the starter is spinning and you're not getting any engagement, you may want to pull it and see if the bendix is throwing the armature out. If it's sticking or not throwing all the way, you may be hearing the starter's teeth trying and failing to mesh with the flywheel's. Also, as mentioned before, there could be a bolt missing or backed out/loose, causing it to not line up. Make sure bolts are tightened to 33 ft-lbs. That's where I'd start, anyhow. Best of luck with everything

Ronbo

Thanks Guys.. I pulled the starter yesterday. All the blts were good and all was tight. But whatever is happening the starter is not engaging properly with the flywheel . Its actually messed up about 5 teeth on the flywheel.. I took a file and fixed them pretty good. Its like a 1/16 f an inch on the front of 5 teeth are messed up.. It looks like if I had a shim init it would make it worse.. Oh and the teeth on the starter are royally FUBARED.... Thanks for all the support...

glassk

20131112_095348-1.jpg

if that is the starter side you are welcome to this one, sorry It is new just don't have the nsn for it , if it looks close i'll check for a part number on it

acesneights1

If your flexplate is shot let me know. I "may" have one. I have to look. I can't remember if I sold it with the tranny. I have worked on many many 6.2/6.5 diesels and never seen one shimmed. The proper way to install a Delco style starter is to use Dekim bule and do a contact pattern but I don't think I have ever heard anyone do it that way. Sounds like you had a bad starter that lunched the flywheel or maybe vice versa. If you need the flywheel let me know and I will look for it. No promises but I might have it.

Ronbo

Thanks , ?? How far in does the starter gear engage on the flywheel? it did damage 4-5 teeth but just like a 1/16 or so / If the starter gear engages all the way on the flywheel teeth, I should be fine , but I dont want to take any chances and ruin a new starter. another question My old flywheel hada bad spot and it always seemed that the engine would shut off in the same spot . how does that work?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Just saw this thread,

I have a used flywheel and starter, If you don't get squared away, their yours for the price of shipping.
Hang in there,

Ed

Last edited:

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Was the front brace for the starter in place and connected to the block? Also, if you have bad teeth, on the flywheel, you may as well replace it, if you don't you'll be here again in a few months.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks , ?? How far in does the starter gear engage on the flywheel? it did damage 4-5 teeth but just like a 1/16 or so / If the starter gear engages all the way on the flywheel teeth, I should be fine , but I dont want to take any chances and ruin a new starter. another question My old flywheel hada bad spot and it always seemed that the engine would shut off in the same spot . how does that work?
The bendix should engage well past the back of the ring gear. Most engines will come to a stop in the exact same position a vast majority of the time. How it works is a mystery to me but I have years of experience that indicates that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks