• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GEP 6.5 non turbo valley drain

Myrtleman

Good evening. My rig is a 2006 1097A2 non-turbo. Rainwater is collecting on the top of the intake manifold valley and not draining away. I’m able to verify that the valley hole is not clogged and im able to get a wire down in there. However, the exit hole appears to have a freeze plug in it. As far as i know this is the original motor that has not been rebuilt. Ive read that on some rebuilds, they will stick a freeze plug in that hole. Whats the reasoning behind that? Regardless of the source or cause of the plug, is it ok for me to drill out for drainage? Thanks for your help.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1165 that was reset by Milton had the valley drain plugged. I drove the plug out so valley could drain. I was advised that I don’t have the tube that runs behind the block and it’s a bad idea to let the valley drain against the block. Do some digging and see what you come up with

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1165 that was reset by Milton had the valley drain plugged. I drove the plug out so valley could drain. I was advised that I don’t have the tube that runs behind the block and it’s a bad idea to let the valley drain against the block. Do some digging and see what you come up with
Unplugging the the hole is a bad idea if the tube is removed, as it is on the melton rebuilds, all that water will end up on the rear main seal…even with the drain working, you will have water in the valley, the water exits the front the motor at the low spot around the timing cover.
if you want no water to collect? Park the truck facing down your driveway if it’s sloped, or throw a tarp over the motor under the hood when parked long term.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the above statements from RWH, the tube is a poor design. When I rebuilt mine I had removed the old rusted and disfigured tube and ordered a new one. When I received the new one, at one glance I realized that installing that tube back on and keeping it clean and flowing was futile to say the least so I threw the new tube in the parts bin and plugged the drain hole without a second thought.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Upon my return to California to work on my M 1165, I have decided to take sheet metal and attach it from the bar above the oil cooler all the way to the underside of the cab that supports the hood when it is closed. I will use aluminum or stainless steel, to avoid rust and corrosion. It is my hope that this will channel the water away from the top of the engine once and for all.

It would be a similar concept to the large plastic doodads that they put over the performance car motors and fuel injectors and carburetors to dress up the engine bay.

Myrtleman

Upon my return to California to work on my M 1165, I have decided to take sheet metal and attach it from the bar above the oil cooler all the way to the underside of the cab that supports the hood when it is closed. I will use aluminum or stainless steel, to avoid rust and corrosion. It is my hope that this will channel the water away from the top of the engine once and for all.

It would be a similar concept to the large plastic doodads that they put over the performance car motors and fuel injectors and carburetors to dress up the engine bay.
Tobash i would love to see a pic of this when complete. Sounds like a good idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks